3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did I Mess Up My Mobo Clock Somehow?

I recently got into messing around with various older LGA775 cpus' and 771 Xeons, just for fun, using various AsRock, Asus and Gigabyte boards. (Yeah, tired oldschool stuff; I know)
    I did a few sticker mods and board mods so I could run 771 Xeons, and they have all worked great. Got some good benchmarks for what they are.
    Then I figured I would try the Bsel tape mod on a Q6600 quad core, which basically tricks the cpu into running at 1333 FSB instead of its rated 1066 MHz.
    I tried posting the board with this mod and at first it seemed to be good, then it sort of got flakey, and the clock speed now reads 178 MHz; not the 267 it used to, and certainly not the 333 it would be for 1333 FSB. The processor speed is showing as 1.60 GHz; not the 2.40 that it should be. I removed the tape mod; same thing.
    So then I tried another 1066 FSB cpu; same result.
    Then I tried a Duo E8400, which runs a 1333 FSB, and it seems to be fine. Numbers look right on.
    So it looks like I might have fritzed something in the 267/1066 FSB clock system, but the 1333 is OK.
    The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L by the way.

My question is, can this be patched in any way, like a bios re-flash, or some other way?

Thanks for any help or ideas,
    rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would reset the BIOS to defaults first, then test. If that didn't work I'd re-flash the BIOS and reset to defaults - always reset to defaults after a change and go from there.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I would reset the BIOS to defaults first, then test. If that didn't work I'd re-flash the BIOS and reset to defaults - always reset to defaults after a change and go from there.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul;
    I did try setting the bios to defaults; no change.
    I was going to try clearing the cmos next.
    I have downloaded the latest bios update from Gigabyte; but I have never done a bios flash and I am kind of hesitant.
    The board is loosely connected to a spare psu, and keyboard, sitting on my bench. None of the normal system peripherals are connected.

rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BIOS updates are easy on modern boards. The upgrade is built in to the BIOS and makes a backup to the same location as the upgrade file. As long as you don't power off mid flight all will be well.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PROBLEM SOLVED!
    I pulled the battery to clear the cmos, replaced it, and boom all is normal again.
    Another lesson learned.
    I don't think I'll be fooling around with Bsel mods again anytime soon.
    That makes it zero for two tries.

Thanks Paul and to all!

rstew

Thanks
    Why would you need to tape mod a Q6600 when your board (Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L) is/should
    be more than capable of over-clocking that processor?

These types of goofy mods were intended for pathetic OEM boards that you couldn't change the FSB on.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Why would you need to tape mod a Q6600 when your board (Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L) is/should
    be more than capable of over-clocking that processor?

These types of goofy mods were intended for pathetic OEM boards that you couldn't change the FSB on.
    Clint
    It was just an experiment is all, to see if it would work!
    The board does in fact support o/c ing, so that will be next.
    I need to figure out how to adjust memory ratios with the CPU speeds and that sort of stuff. Right now I am kind of green in that area.
    Thanks!

rstew

Thanks
    You'll have plenty of helpful input with that board:
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...clocking+guide
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You'll have plenty of helpful input with that board:
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...clocking+guide
    CLINT;
    Thanks for that link.
    Lots of good OC info there for sure.

rstew