2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow start ups and really slow shut downs

Hi folks, I searched this problem and found the last entry was over three years old, so I'm going to try another post.
    Fairly recently I have noticed that it is taking my Win 7 64 over 3 minutes to shut down. I, 95% of time close out all windows and programs before directing PC to shut down. I have noticed that most of the times, I get short splash screens asking to force a close, where task mgr says there is nothing running, then another even shorter screen says "Task Host" or something needing to be forced closed, it flashes so quick, I can't see it exactly, then the "windows is shutting down" and this lasts for 3 + minutes. I looked at event viewer and saw a lot of stuff. It also said that windows start up was having troubles also. I've enclosed a copy of the details of the last shut down with a "critical" warning below. Truly I have not noticed that start ups are bad, I guess I'm used to Win always being slow. My start up programs have been pared down to Synaptics Pointing Deviced (?) but have always had that, Secunia, wordweb (a dictionary) and a wallpaper utility. The anti virus/malware (Kaspersky, Malwarebytes), Eset start but are not on the start up list in msconfig. As stated this is a recent phenomenon 2-3 weeks. Would appreciate any ideas from you all, that I may try, with the proviso that I'm not an expert with PCs (An understatement). Thanks beforehand for any help.....Stan

Here are the "critical" details from event viewer from last shut down.....

ShutdownTsVersion 1
    ShutdownStartTime 2014-09-26T15:10:24.858040700Z
    ShutdownEndTime 2014-09-26T15:13:13.062702200Z
    ShutdownTime 168204
    ShutdownUserSessionTime 12022
    ShutdownUserPolicyTime 166
    ShutdownUserProfilesTime 833
    ShutdownSystemSessionsTime 12237
    ShutdownPreShutdownNotificationsTime 5926
    ShutdownServicesTime 5001
    ShutdownKernelTime 143943
    ShutdownRootCauseStepImprovementBits 0
    ShutdownRootCauseGradualImprovementBits 0
    ShutdownRootCauseStepDegradationBits 0
    ShutdownRootCauseGradualDegradationBits 0
    ShutdownIsDegradation false
    ShutdownTimeChange 0

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    When there is not a program causing an obvious problem often shutdown issues are from Windows waiting on a driver to respond. Do you have any mapped drives or network devices?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, Not exactly sure what you mean by mapped drives or network devices. I/We have a what I assume is a very basic set up, broadband from comcast, a printer, a couple of laptops and iPads and iPhones with basic programs running on same. I guess I'm showing my ignorance, sorry.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could see if Windows maintenance and performance checks snag anything.

Control Panel - under System and Security click on Find and fix problems then under System and Security - Run maintenance tasks.

Click on Advanced/Run as admin - Advanced for auto repair and do the same for Check for performances issues.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, Thanks, I'm not able to find
    Control Panel - under System and Security click on Find and fix problems then under System and Security - Run maintenance tasks.

Click on Advanced/Run as admin - Advanced for auto repair and do the same for Check for performances issues.

on my Win 7 Control Panel. What am I doing wrong?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15 Did a search and found sys maintenance, did a fix problems and nothing showed up. Did same for Performance check and nothing showed up either.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you share files or folders between your devices?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, Not at all, when we want to share we send an email, we do only basic stuff. Thanks, Stan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could go to the computer/motherboard support site and download the graphics drivers and while in there, check to see if there's a newer BIOS version to what you have installed.

If the graphics drivers don't improve anything then there could be poor communication between the BIOS and the motherboard and re-flashing the BIOS could sort that.

Security programs tend to be in Services in msconfig.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-26 at 19:11.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, thanks, you're really trying. As a matter of fact, someone here just helped me recently, to update my drivers and BIOS with Slimdrivers and all seemed well after that. I can only guess that Kaspersky/Malmarebytes start a different way, as they don't show in msconfig startup. I do appreciate the guidance you're giving me.......Stan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go into msconfig and under the Boot tab check the box for Boot Log and checking the box for OS Boot Info will allow you to watch the drivers loading and if anything is sticking.

You can read the Boot Log in C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt - double click on that and it should open in Notepad.

It can report some drivers not loaded as not all drivers are required on Boot, but it can also report them as not being loaded because they already have been - you'll need your specs on for all of the entries

Also boot up into Safe Mode - Repair your Computer - navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Startup Repair to see what that reports.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's possible that recent Definition updates for either Kaspersky or MBAM are the cause and uninstalling MBAM to eliminate a possible conflict is also something to try.

Last year MBAM was revamped and that caused havoc with Norton 360 to the point of freezing the computer when it stopped the MMC, so while MBAM will get along with AVs most of the time, you can get the odd glitch.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe and Sudo, Many thanks, I think I found the answer: regedit>\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management}, then change the value of ClearPageFile at Shutdown to a 0 if it is a 1
    And
    I also did this :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Highlight the value WaitToKillServiceTimeout
    Change this value to 1000. it was 12000

I kept looking for things to try and this did the trick......Thanks again, Stan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I seem to remember seeing a fix like that a couple of years back but had forgotten about it - but glad you found it