New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 Hijacked? HELP

I'm unable to run/open IE11, the icon on the desktop was deleted inadvertently or it was deleted by hijacker?
    I am no computer whiz by any means...did a little looking around and found IE is still in program files, C drive.
    Under properties/security/user names, I see "? Unknown Account (S-1-15-2-1)" at the top of the list with my accounts underneath. I'm trying to delete that account and see if that solves the problem. I'm unable to do this from that panel.
    Any thoughts on how to proceed?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have most likely accidentally deleted the desktop short cut. You should be able to find IE under Start > Programs.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Paul, I have restored the desktop icon and still no go. I have also tried opening IE from C...Program Files....Internet Explorer...iexplore, right click, run as administrator, I get the "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?" panel and IE seemingly starts to open and closes immediately.
    I also tried System restore to no avail.

Thanks
    Try System Restore

New Lounger
    Thanks
    System Restore did not work either. None of the restore points (2) worked.

Thanks
    Try System Restore in Safe Mode. Anti virus programs have been known to block it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if re-registering IE files will do it.

Open a command prompt as an administrator and enter regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Turning it off - rebooting then turning on again in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off may also reinstate it - but only do this if you have another browser installed.

If neither works then then go Start - type internet options then press enter and under the Advanced tab click on Reset and check all of the options.

Go to Installed Updates - right click on IE 11 and select Uninstall to see if the roll back version works.

If it does then go to Windows Updates and do a manual check for updates where IE 11 should re-present.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Try System Restore in Safe Mode. Anti virus programs have been known to block it.
    I am trying system restore in safe mode now...keeping my fingers crossed. I now see the wisdom in keeping two browsers on my machine. How can I get a disk with Firefox to install?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    THAT DID IT!!!!

Thank You Calimanco!

Thanks
    "How can I get a disk with Firefox to install? "

Mike go to the following web address: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ The last of the choices in blue lettering is "Download a fresh copy." This is the one to choose.

I've found its Help to be useful and took the tour; however, if you have questions about FireFox, post them here. Since automatic updates have worked well, I let Firefox update itself.

Good luck with FireFox.

Charles

You don't have to be a genius or a visionary or even a college graduate to be successful. You just need a framework and a dream.

Michael Dell
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2014-10-04 at 22:35.