New Lounger
    Thanks

File extensions, context menu (Work 97, Win 98)

Hi,
    I have a new laptop at work, so of course things don't work the way I want them to. Here are my current problems:
    1) When I save a Word doc, the format used to have the file extension after it: Rich Text Format (*.rtf), for example. I was used to that, but my laptop doesn't do it now. I have the "Hide file extensions for known file types" box UNchecked in Explorer, so that's not the answer.
    2) When I'd hit Open in Word, I could do a right-click on a file and have Send To in the menu. It's not there now. Anyone know how to add it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File extensions, context menu (Work 97, Win 98)

Ed,

Regarding your Question 1, select File, Save. Select Tools from the tool bar at the top of the dialog box, then select General Options. In the "Save Word files as" dropdown box, what do you see? It should say "Word Document (*.doc)". I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.

I don't know what's going on with your Send To context menu selection. I checked several machines in my office and Send To is available on all of them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to write.
    Your suggestion for Problem 1 was a little confusing. When I click File and Save, Select Tools is not available. In any case, the choice in the Save As box looks the same: Word Document, but no (*.doc) at the end. I remember being able to fix this, but I don't remember how I did!
    As to Send To being on the right-click menu, it suddenly appeared. I think Windows Explorer is funky on this laptop and things seem to come and go. But that one's no longer a problem (thank God--I use it constantly.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ed

Is this a new new laptop, or is it a "hand me down"? Things as basic to Windows as the Send To menu shouldn't be acting up like this. If it is a "hand me down", you might benefit from asking your Tech Support to do a reformat and reinstall for you.

HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ed:
    Go to Tools/Options/Save tab & there's an option to "Save Word files as...". Make sure that that is set for Word Document (*.doc). See if that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil and everyone. Although nothing I've tried has worked, the system seems to have fixed itself! But I'm told this computer is funky and will need to be reformatted. Yuck.