Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation CCleaner has minor update 29/9/14

CCicon.gif

A new version, 4.18.4844 is available to download!

The version # will appear to be the same when downloaded but, continue, anyway. This & the last are 4.18 but, after 4.18. the 4844 is a higher # than the last update.

Download HERE

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I put it on one of my computers but I will be sticking with 4.17 on the others. I'm sure that the constant monitoring is ok for some people but it's another thing using resources constantly and even if you go into CCleaner options and uncheck monitoring, it continues to monitor unless you go to the notifications and right click and select exit, then it starts again on reboot. I could use MSconfig to stop it I guess but it would be easier to go back to 4.17.
    I run CCleaner every night so in my case I'm not too concerned about the monitoring anyway. Something I don't like is that it runs whether you like it or not. I guess I will look for the 4.17 version and change this computer back.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    On the other hand, there were/are some items in 4.18 that are of value & did not exist in 4.17

Cheers,
    Drew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I put it on one of my computers but I will be sticking with 4.17 on the others. I'm sure that the constant monitoring is ok for some people but it's another thing using resources constantly and even if you go into CCleaner options and uncheck monitoring, it continues to monitor unless you go to the notifications and right click and select exit, then it starts again on reboot. I could use MSconfig to stop it I guess but it would be easier to go back to 4.17.
    I run CCleaner every night so in my case I'm not too concerned about the monitoring anyway. Something I don't like is that it runs whether you like it or not. I guess I will look for the 4.17 version and change this computer back.
    I unchecked it in msconfig and even used CCleaner to remove it from the Start menu but it reinstated itself on the reboot and even attempting the roll back through Properties/Previous Versions didn't do it.

I uninstalled it then Googled for old versions of ccleaner and found v4.17 on http://www.oldapps.com/ccleaner.php which I installed and then used it to clear the cache which seemed substantial.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Why not just uncheck the real-time monitoring in 4.18?

Cheers,
    Drew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Why not just uncheck the real-time monitoring in 4.18?

Cheers,
    Drew
    I did and was faced with the same problems as Lumpy95 had and even more as I'd unchecked it in msconfig.

Got the prompt for the update but just closed the window and ignored it bottom right.

Thanks
    Thanks for the link Sudo15. The monitoring is too intrusive for me as there is no way to stop it. On reboot, it starts a new instance of it in the start-up programs. It doesn't show up in the notifications area anymore but it is running all the same.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    After closing the initial update alert after running v4.17 the first time, it hasn't come back, but it could be early days for that and it will get the same treatment if it does pop up

Banned Member
    Thanks
    There is no need to allow it to run @ Start-up if, you don't want that. And any draw on resources is negligible. It was done to help people who forget or neglect to run the utility regularly. It's, also, not too much of an issue since, reboots are such a rare event.

There are things in 4.18 that didn't exist in 4.17 & which, have (added) value.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    There is no need to allow it to run @ Start-up if, you don't want that
    Unfortunately it runs no matter what you do to turn off the monitoring. I just went back to 4.17. I shut my computer down every night so it is an issue with me. I'm glad you like it but I don't like the fact that I can not turn off a feature that I don't want.
    There are things in 4.18 that didn't exist in 4.17 & which, have (added) value.
    yup, a feature that you can't turn off.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Unfortunately it runs no matter what you do to turn off the monitoring. I just went back to 4.17. I shut my computer down every night so it is an issue with me. I'm glad you like it but I don't like the fact that I can not turn off a feature that I don't want.

yup, a feature that you can't turn off.
    No, I said 4.17 vs 4.18. You are talking about 4.18.4824. I am talking about 4.18.4844 where the monitoring CAN be shut off.

And, sorry, I was assuming the 'Best Practice" of not shutting down nightly. I know, I know... one should not make assumptions. Excuse me.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    4.18.4844 is the version I just uninstalled.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder what it was about v4.18.4842 that Piriform released .4844 just a day later - guess I'll just stick with v4.17 - it does all that I want it to and it isn't as if using an older version poses a security risk ?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Amongst other features 42 gave monitoring... so CCleaner knew when the machine needed cleaning & it would, also, let you know. 44 provided the ability to shut the monitoring on or off. 4.18 offers the following improvements over 4.17:
    A new Version 4.18.4842 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released.
    v4.18.4842 (25 Sep 2014)
    - Added Active System Monitoring for Free users
    - Improved Firefox Saved Password cleaning.
    - Improved Opera History cleaning.
    - Improved 64-bit build architecture for Window 8 and 8.1.
    - Added Ashampoo Burning Studio 14, XnView and FastStone Capture cleaning.
    - Improved localization support.
    - Minor GUI Improvements.
    - Minor bug fixes.

4824 to 4844 did this:
    The only change in this version is that it moves the 'Enable Active Monitoring' option from the Advanced to the Monitoring section of the Options. To disable all background monitoring, uncheck both the 'Enable system monitoring' and 'Enable Active Monitoring' boxes.

Ergo, no denying it is a bit baffling to say the monitoring cannot be disabled. It can be.

W/ CCleaner one is always best advised to use the latest update.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-01 at 06:50.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-10-01)

Thanks
    Drew1903;
    Maybe something about my computer is different than yours then. No matter what I unchecked in 4844 it puts a new entry for the monitor in startup on reboot, hence, I will stick with 4.17 for now. I assume that the reason CCleaner came out back to back with updates is that they were "trying" to fix the monitor problem but it didn't work on my computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast