5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting messages by read/unread status

I am using Outlook 2010 on a server running Windows Server 2008 R2. I want to sort the inbox and other folders first by read/unread status, then by received date.

1. I can sort by received date by clicking on the Received column heading, or by setting "Sort items by = Received" in the View settings, but this did not work with the Icon column. Is there a way to sort by read/unread status by using the Icon column?

2. I heard that the "Filter E-Mail" function and the Search > "Refine" function both provide an "Unread" option, but the "Filter E-Mail" icon and all of the "Refine" options are disabled (greyed out). How can I enable them?

Find.PNG

Refine.PNG
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2014-09-29 at 04:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There is a built-in search for unread email. Won't that suffice if you are looking to triage your unread email first?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.

1. I see that a "Read" column can be added from the Field Chooser to a folder view, but Outlook cannot sort by this column.

2. In Outlook on my PC, I can click on Filter E-mail > Unread, or Search > Unread, both of which set the search parameter to "read:no" and thereby display only unread messages in any view.

However, in Outlook on the server, the Filter Email button and all of the options in the Refine group on the Search tab are disabled (greyed out), and if I type "read:no: into the search box, no results are displayed. It appears that in order to use these advanced filter and search functions, Windows Search must be installed on the server, although Outlook can perform a basic text search without this.

However, I see that View Settings > Filter > More Choices > "Only items that are = unread" will display unread messages even without installing Windows Search.
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 2014-09-29 at 22:04.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In the navigation pane on the left there is a search folder. One of the items under it is "Unread mail". Once you click on "unread mail" then you should be able to click on a column header to sort.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your further reply.

I see that Outlook can filter read/unread messages via Search Folders, without having Windows Search installed.

However, if I have numerous folders and want to view individual ones separately, sometimes showing all messages and sometimes showing only unread messages, then it seems that I would need to set up multiple Search Folders?

For now, I have created two views: "Unread", with a filter to show unread message only, and "All", with no filter.