Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Inspiron 3847 , win 8.1, bluetooth gone?

When I swipe in from the right, then search for Change Bluetooth settings (this is the only way I can access them) the settings box comes up after clicking on change Bluetooth settings in the search results.

When I check the box ''allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC'' and click ''apply'' I get a message saying ''an error occurred while windows was saving your settings, the Bluetooth device might be unplugged, the following settings were not saved, discoverability settings''

I cant find any settings for Bluetooth in any of the settings menus when I swipe right and click on settings.

Any Ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure if this article will help http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...finding-device

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but not really any help im afraid, its as if my Bluetooth has gone or been uninstalled.
    Where abouts in device manager should I find my Bluetooth device?
    All I can see in there is ''QUALCOMM Atheros Bluetooth bus'' Under ''system devices''.
    It states that the driver is up to date and working correctly.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which Bluetooth device are you using, is it switched on and did you try the Troubleshooting section ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    On some Notebooks the Bluetooth adapter is part of the Wi-Fi adapter, turn Wi-Fi off and Bluetooth will also be off.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I find out what device I have and how do I turn it on? Its a desktop I have. Wi Fi is switched on and working, I have a wireless connection to my BT Hub.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Bluetooth devices are listed in Network adapters, so if the QUALCOMM is the only one listed, then that is your Bluetooth device.

Even though it's reporting as working, perhaps downloading its driver may wake up Windows so that it's recognised and activates the Settings - unless that isn't a Bluetooth device and you aren't actually using any such as a mouse or keyboard and then there wouldn't be any settings to change.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-30 at 13:51.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its not listed in network devices,
    Screenshot (2).png

There is this in system devices.

Screenshot (3).png

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's what makes your computer Bluetooth enabled so that you can add Bluetooth devices but they need to be connected and switched on where they would then appear in Network adapters.

You can get different makes of Bluetooth - yours happens to be Atheros.

You'll be able to get a driver for that HD Audio Device from Dell Support.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you say Bluetooth devices you mean like a dongle for instance? My PC was able to have Bluetooth devices connect to it a while back, my phone for instance used to connect to it.
    I know that there is no separate Bluetooth card in the machine so I assume its part nof my wireless card?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can get Bluetooth wireless keyboards, mice and headphones that I know of.

I don't think Bluetooth is part of the wireless card as they have separate drivers, although they are peculiar to the Dell wireless card version that is installed in the machine.

When you go to Dell Support for the HD Audio Device driver, have a look for the Bluetooth driver which is applicable for your Dell Wireless 1705 adapter and download it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had a look on the dell site and there isn't a Bluetooth driver listed, I did download one from the atheros site but it changed nothing at all on the PC, I'm in the middle of a system refresh to see if that sorts it.

Thanks
    Hope the refresh fixes it for you but if it doesn't, is there a chipset driver listed on the Dell site?

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't see how the Refresh will do anything either.

While your computer is Bluetooth enabled, unless you have an actual Bluetooth device plugged in, there aren't any settings to change - just as you can't change mouse settings if you don't have a mouse connected.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right then, I'm back! The refresh whipped out a lot of drivers so I had to download them again.
    So , before I downloaded the drivers my blue tooth was showing in PC settings / PC and devices.
    In Device Manager I had a whole section dedicated to Bluetooth.
    In Device Manager / Network Adapters there was also a few Bluetooth devices showing.

So , I started to install Dells drivers, one being their chipset. After the chipset install all the Bluetooth on my computer was whipped out, all gone.
    Nothing showing anywhere.

So , I downloaded the rest of the drivers then updated windows, Bluetooth came back!
    I tried to search fore devices, well , I didn't have the option , when I went to settings in the charm bar, then pc settings , then PC And Devices, then Bluetooth but when I clicked on Bluetooth it went into search mode straight away, no option to turn bluetooth on or off , no options at all, it just started to search for devices. However it could not find any , nor could my windows phone or nexus 7 find my PC.
    So , I shut the PC down and went to bed.
    I just got home from work and started the PC up, and guess what? All Bluetooth has gone again, nothing in pc settings , then PC And Devices, nothing in device manager. Nothing at all anywhere.

If I do a search for Bluetooth I can still access the Bluetooth settings but am still getting the original warning message when I check the make my pc discoverable box and press apply. ''an error occurred while windows was saving your settings, the Bluetooth device might be unplugged, the following settings were not saved, discoverability settings''

So, Im stumped now, is it a windows thing , a dell driver thing or both?

The Dell wireless driver includes a Bluetooth suite so I might try reinstalling that to see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast