New Lounger
    Thanks

problems as faced by me in my PC

Dear Sir / Madam,

I've a dual boot OS PC. In my 1st SSD (256 GB) OS is Win 8.1 Pro (x64). The 2nd SSD (128 GB) OS is Win 7 (x64) Ultimate.
    By default PC boots into Win 8.1 Pro & I give below description of my problem:-

a. When I normally boot my PC in Win 8.1 Pro (x64), C: is the boot drive & H: is the 128 GB SSD on which I'd installed Win7 (x64) Ultimate. It is frequently faced by me that when booting Win 8.1 Pro I get an error "checking & recovering H:", it goes on for sometime & then when i try booting in win7 I generally run into problems of not being able to boot.

b. I've AsRock x79 fatalty Champion mobo & F11 is the key for boot menu. I've tried & It is working, but I hope it remains that way only. For the moment I'm able to go into either OS without any problems.

c. when starting win 8.1 & win7 there are many times when CHKDSK tries to run on some / all drives. Once this is aborted, win7 OS appears Ok. However if I allow it to happen at least once win7 booting is stopped. pl tell me how to stop the CHKDSK scanning so as to ensure PC boots smoothly in both OS's. Also when CHKDSK is not run I'm unable to run disk defrag as well.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

Viraf P Chinoy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    RE: c. Some pages about chkdsk that should help:
    https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.IHQhDGI2dKQ

From what I've read I don't think you want to defrag an SSD.

Thanks
    It's an age old problem, that if one OS on a computer can see another OS on the same computer, it will futz around with it, and may even try to "FIX" it.

I had problems with that fact some time ago, with Windows XP and Windows 7.
    One of them would delete all the restore points from the other..... I don't remember now, which was which.

So I vowed that, like they say on the Railroad, "never the trains shall meet".

I solved the problem forever, by never having two hard drives running at the same time, with different OS's on them.
    Every OS has its own hard drive and only one drive is energized at a time.
    So there is no possible way that one OS can muck about with another OS.
    Life is so much simpler that way! Eh?

Cheers Mates!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    I've found that you can successfully have 2 OS partitions on the same physical drive by applying this registry fix to each of the respective registries (e.g. while logged in to that OS version)

Hide Drive from View
    Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline
    Create a new DWord entry with:
    Name: \DosDevices\d:
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Where d: is the letter assigned to the non-active OS partition.

Example:

My laptop has two bootable OS partitions (Both Win 7 one w/Office 2003 Pro the other w/ Office 2010 Pro).
    The Drive C: is the one with Office 2010 & Drive E: is the one with Office 2003.
    So while booted into C: I set DosDevices\E:
    and while booted into E: I set DosDevices\C:

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    It's an age old problem, that if one OS on a computer can see another OS on the same computer, it will futz around with it, and may even try to "FIX" it.

I had problems with that fact some time ago, with Windows XP and Windows 7.
    One of them would delete all the restore points from the other..... I don't remember now, which was which.
    Hehe, I remember that well!

http://windowssecrets.com/known-issu...estore-points/

The Ian Brown named is none other than me!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vchinoy@gmail.com View Post
    ...when starting win 8.1 & win7 there are many times when CHKDSK tries to run on some / all drives. Once this is aborted, win7 OS appears Ok. However if I allow it to happen at least once win7 booting is stopped. pl tell me how to stop the CHKDSK scanning so as to ensure PC boots smoothly in both OS's...
    A few days ago I downloaded and installed the "Windows 10 Technical Preview", and immediately ran into the "chkdsk" problem you describe. It turned out that the problem was being caused by the "fast startup" feature in Win10 TP (Win8/8.1 also has "fast startup").

See post by Lead3 at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...68df449&page=1

EightForums tute about "fast startup": http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html[/QUOTE]

Since I turned off "fast startup" in Win10 TP chkdsk has not run.

Warning: I note that your lounge username is "vchinoy@gmail.com"; if that is your actual email address you should be aware that using your email address as your username in any forum etc. is an open invitation to spammers to send you their rubbish SPAM emails (or worse). You should change your username to something else (e.g.: just "vchinoy" or whatever else you fancy.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-24 at 04:59. Reason: add warning about email address used as lounge username
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.