New Lounger
    Thanks

security essentials update

Is there a work around to update Security Essentials? It complains that XP is no longer supported, therefore, refuses to update. Duh!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You still get definition updates through July 15, 2015. See Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP for more details.

If you are concerned about updates to the program itself you are out of luck. You'll need to search out a third party anti-virus program for xp.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You still get definition updates through July 15, 2015. See Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP for more details.

If you are concerned about updates to the program itself you are out of luck. You'll need to search out a third party anti-virus program for xp.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    uninstall the current version of Microsoft Security Essentials and install an older version (4.4.304) from this Filehippo.com page.
    Also disable automatic updates for MSE after installation.

XP USERS: Do NOT use a version of Microsoft Security Essentials greater than 4.4.304 or you WILL BE VERY SORRY!

Update 3/2015: Versions 4.6 & higher of MSE officially block/prevent installation on XP.
    Last edited by np-7930; 2015-03-14 at 22:16.

Thanks
    Why not just get freebies like AVG or Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot, and get rid of MSE?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-03-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Why not just get freebies like AVG or Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot, and get rid of MSE?
    That same suggestion was made to me yesterday by a computer repair guy,...for use on my older desktop computer that runs XP.

That person suggested the 'free version' of AVG as it would not slow up the computer as much as the more advance paid version.

I had had Avast recommended by another person a few days before, but this latest fellow indicated that Avast came along with a lot of pop-up ads??

Thanks
    Free thingies come at a price, of some sort. I have used many freebies for years, learned to minimize the "costs," and I've gone ahead and purchased licenses for many programs 'cause I got better configurations/settings control. You're at a fork in the road, either go with nonMS freebies, or, go with MSE, if MSE, follow the previous poster's MSE adminition and you'll be fine
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Bitdefender is a competent AV program and it has the advantage that, once installed, you wont be bothered by it again until it detects something.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Bitdefender is a competent AV program and it has the advantage that, once installed, you wont be bothered by it again until it detects something.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.
    Or go to this site to get Bitdefender Free (for non-UK users):
    http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

The "offline" installation EXE setup files for Bitdefender are huge though (250Mb+ in size). Use at least a 1.5 Mbps DSL/cable connection to get the installation files.

Thanks
    Microsoft Update may try to download the last XP update for Microsoft Security Essentials as KB2949787. Don't allow it!

Use the Custom Install option and uncheck the MSE Update. The last update will turn the MSE icon red forever and pop up a disgusting Warning box EVERY TIME at Startup. It may also pop up at other times.

Unchecking the MU install will hide it from further updates hopefully.

MSE can be updated internally in the program itself for new malware definitions without the last update. MSE will still be updated by M$ even for XP!

I tested all of this on my own XP. So far so good.

You cannot UNINSTALL the update! Uninstalling MSE ends use.

Thanks
    I tried reinstalling the MSE program from a copy on my laptop, but after a reboot. Microsoft said it was INVALID and shut it down!

If you choose to keep it, it will probably just NAG until you remove it.
    Last edited by burger2227; 2015-04-04 at 19:21.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    That same suggestion was made to me yesterday by a computer repair guy,...for use on my older desktop computer that runs XP.

That person suggested the 'free version' of AVG as it would not slow up the computer as much as the more advance paid version.

I had had Avast recommended by another person a few days before, but this latest fellow indicated that Avast came along with a lot of pop-up ads??
    I've used Avast! on two XP machines for years, and had very few ads, in fact none at all with the latest version. You get popups every time the AV does something, like update itself, but you can turn that off if it's annoying.

It also comes with offers for extra software, like so much stuff these days, but you just have to watch the screen and don't "OK" anything till you've read it. In my experience it only slows the machine down when it phones home for an update, and only then if it's a real clunker.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-04-01 at 19:04.

jwoods
    A couple of things to keep in mind...

1. You'll need to pick AV tools carefully to avoid performance issues. Security *suites* can eat a lot of memory, as well as CPU cycles. Many older XP machines cannot handle the load.

2. Many AV vendors will end support for Windows XP. Bitdefender, for example, has committed to XP at least until January 2016 for home users, and at least until January 2017 for enterprise users. Beyond that, it's unclear.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-02 at 01:15.