3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD After Installing M/S Patches

I have a very stable Windows 7 64 bit machine. Iíve never had a BSOD in my 4 years of owning this system until I installed my latest set of patches the end of last week. One created a BSOD during the install process, but none indicated that they failed to properly install. I generally follow Ms. Bradley's recommendations on which patches are safe.

The last seven patches I installed were

KB2881069
    KB2985461
    KB2998527
    KB2978092
    KB2977728
    KB2952664
    KB2878233

I'm guessing that one must be the culprit. The other patches I installed are captured in a screen shot attached.

Iíve had two subsequent BSODís and two events of my system freezing once it boots up. Nothing is moving. I can reboot and the system boots normally the second. I've never had this problem before either.

The system event log indicates this event error at the time of the seizure:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    Lbd

Which patch is causing this and should I uninstall it?

Thanks.

WSC3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Try a System Restore to a date prior to 9/25. If the BSOD's go away, install the updates one at a time.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never done a System Restore. Any hazards I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Scott

Thanks
    Nope. In some cases it may not work but then you get restored to your current state.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went out and looked at my "Previous Versions" of my "C" drive (I have 5) and when I click on any one, the "Restore" button continues to be greyed out. Why is that? What am I doing wrong? Am I not at a restore point? I thought that I could roll back to one of these dates.

I did some research on Restore Point, and I learned about the command prompt "rstrui." When I executed "rstrui", I see that I don't have a point before I installed the patches (9/25/14). In fact, I have only two and not five. My oldest restore point (here) is 9/28/14, which is labeled "Critical Update." Do I misunderstand the restore option? 9/25 was the date I installed the bad patch. Where are my older restore points? If I restore to 9/28, I don't get back past the patch date.

Second, can I control these restore points and which ones are kept and which are deleted? I thought I did that with the restore points that I alluded to that I have five copies of. I guess I don't understand this restore point thing.

CCleaner tells me I have 6 "System Restores" which I equated to restore points. All of this confuses me!
    Last edited by WSC3; 2014-10-02 at 19:45.

Thanks
    I'm not quite following your explanation. However to get to System Restore, open a Command Prompt and copy and paste:- %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe
    This will take you directly to System Restore where you can choose the required restore point.
    If you go to Control Panel>Recovery, you can set which drives are monitored, the amount of storage set aside for the Restore points, create a new Restore Point or revert to an old one. You can also reduce the number of Restore Points to one. If you want to have more precise control, CCleaner can delete (except for the latest Restore Point) as few or as many Restore Points as you wish.
    Note that you cant delete them out of sequence.
    Note that some anti virus programs have to be disabled before System Restore will work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I missed the checkbox saying, "Show All Restore Points." I have no idea why that box is there, but now I see them all!!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Calimanco:

I was going to do the restore this weekend, but ran out of time. I've had no more issues, so now i'm wondering if the restore is necessary. Thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sometimes a reboot will resolve a boot glitch and it's not always down to Windows Updates, although they could have disrupted Ad-Aware until it sorted itself out.

http://www.file.net/process/lbd.sys.html

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15: Hmm. Interesting. I haven't had a BSOD in more than a week. You could be right.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you get any more and it gives a different error, WhoCrashed will analyse the dump files for you and a Google should give more info on the file/driver if it's a bit vague.

Instructions for its use are lower down the page.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-06 at 03:45.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15: Will do. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had another lock up on system boot at the desktop, and the event log indicates the lbd file again. WhoCrash utility shows nothing in dump files. Why is that empty? And should I deactivate ad-aware on boot up? Thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your computer may not be set to create dump files or if you are using CCleaner, uncheck that clean option.

Check to see if you have Windows Update KB2949927 installed from this month's updates and if so, uninstall it as it's been causing boot problems on some machines.

It could have still disrupted Ad-Adware, but if you haven't previously had problems with it then see if removing the WU resolves or you may have to reinstall Ad-Adware.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-18 at 19:50.