Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 10 Preview available now

Get it here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

As with the Windows 8 preview you may have to do a clean install when the final version is released.

Jerry

Thanks
    Things to keep in mind from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-faq#faq=tab0

Download and install the preview only if you

Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

Things to keep in mind

Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.

Also, if your PC runs into problems, Microsoft will likely examine your system files. If the privacy of your system files is a concern, consider using a different PC. For more info, read our privacy statement.

What does it work with?

Technical Preview should work with the same devices and programs that work with Windows 8.1, but you might need to update or reinstall some of them.

Drivers for basic functions like storage, networking, input, and display come with Windows. These drivers allow you to complete the Windows installation and connect to the Internet. You might be able to get more drivers from Windows Update.

For compatibility info, see the Windows 8.1 Compatibility Center.

If you use a mouse and keyboard

Your apps and devices should work as expected, though of course there will be exceptions. We’d love to know what you think about how the new Windows works with mouse and keyboard and whether it provides the best of new and familiar functionality for Windows and apps.

If you have a touch PC

Technical Preview works with touch, but some things will be rough and unfinished. More touch-friendly improvements are on the way. In the meantime, let us know what it’s like to interact with Windows and apps in the preview.

If you want to go back to your previous operating system

You'll need to reinstall your version of Windows from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media). If you don't have recovery media:

For Windows 7 or Windows Vista: Before you update, you might be able to create recovery media from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info.

For Windows 8.1 or Windows 8: You might be able to create a USB recovery drive. For more info, see Create a USB recovery drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link, downloading the .iso file now. At 4.10GB it will take awhile. It will be going on a separate computer but just have to decide which one, have a few older ones that should be able to run it.

Thanks
    Well since I have a new box sitting next to me with a throw away W7 installation I figured trying WX might be worth the effort. I am wondering why a dual boot is not possible but as the W7 is expendable It makes less difference.
    While waiting for the ISO to download I wanted to watch the vid @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...to#how-to=tab0

Nogo, does not play on my old FF(silverlight is up todate, maybe noscript has a hand but only facebook blocked on site), Chrome or IE8. No big deal but an interesting thing happened. Trying it in IExplorer I get a popup as pictured. untitled.JPG

The text in the box turns blue and underlined when moused over but does not activate anything when clicked.

Last edited by wavy; 2014-10-01 at 15:41.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't have any problems but notice the version of EMET in your image, might try updating to 5.0.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=43714

Thanks
    might try updating to 5.0.
    Not w/ XP.

I am trying the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool install to USB again, seems it needs a bootsect.exe in the same directory as program. Which I might add got installed to AppData under administrator. Weird..

I tried the bootsect.exe command manually but something did not take and the thumb drive would not boot.
    BTW I have read that imgburn can write to a thumb drive but see no way to make it happen, I guess Rufus would be next if my second attempt does not work. I am going to try a dual boot to an external USB SSD , will keep any interested posted.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks

Woow install went FAST w/ SSD and sata from a usb 2 thumb drive.
    The external drive dock with USB connection fails, it seems to be a windows thing. The dock with esata connection is seen in setup but also fails. Bios does not see the drive, W7 does not either, I must trouble shoot front panel connections and dock.
    WX seems only slightly more annoying than W7 at first glance

David

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Referring to Post #2 of this thread.

It is highly, strongly, recommended that Win 10 only be run in the following ways:
    1. As a Virtual Machine
    2. Dual-boot on it's own drive
    3. In a spare box.

In other words, it is, absolutely, NOT recommended that one overwrites their current OS with it!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-13 at 05:10.

Thanks
    FYI I have windows 10 since Oct 3 2014 works great was using windows 8.1
    I am planning installing in my wife's next year

After finding the cost of upgrade
    Last edited by smithdoor; 2014-10-09 at 13:00.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    FYI I have windows 10 since Oct 3 2014 works great was using windows 8.1
    I am planning installing in my wife's next year

After finding the cost of upgrade
    Please, reread Post #8! Strongly advise against swapping out Win 8.1 until Win 10 is GA.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    I joint this after I install windows 10
    It is working great so far
    If I reinstall 8.1 I will just do a new one

Thank you
    Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I joint this after I install windows 10
    It is working great so far
    If I reinstall 8.1 I will just do a new one

Thank you
    Dave
    Dave,

Welcome to the Lounge!! Please feel free to participate as much as you need or are able.

Joe

Thanks
    Thank you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Dave,

Welcome to the Lounge!! Please feel free to participate as much as you need or are able.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    will it install on starter versions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamese06 View Post
    will it install on starter versions?
    Read post #8 in this thread!

This link Shows how to install into a VHD which which bypasses your existing O/S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast