5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find a universe(ity) of education online

DIGITAL LEARNING

By Susan Bradley

Want to learn a new foreign language? A new programming language? Our continuing education has gone online.

From online videos and real-time translations to mobile apps, technology is helping us learn new things in many new ways.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/digital-le...cation-online/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-10-01 at 19:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Do not put too much trust in "translators"...

The last title in the article says "Obtenir dans l'humeur" as a translation of "Getting in the mood". It should rather say "Se mettre dans l'ambience".
    I guess you used an automatic translator or looked up for individual words in a dictionary. Idioms also exist in French. It would be better to use www.reverso.net/ which gives translations used in different situations (context). Je vous encourage quand même à continuer. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

DIGITAL LEARNING

By Susan Bradley

Want to learn a new foreign language? A new programming language? Our continuing education has gone online.

From online videos and real-time translations to mobile apps, technology is helping us learn new things in many new ways.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/digital-le...cation-online/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I laughed reading the article. On the weekend, I was chatting with a friend. He had learned some of a foreign language with the help of a female friend before he headed off on a trip. We he got there, the men all sniggered when he spoke. They finally told him he talked like a girl.

I can see that soon we'll have TV and Google based idioms of the worlds languages. Like the aliens in the movie Explorers who spoke in radioese. It's wonderful to be able to connect with other cultures more directly but I'm not sure there's any real substitute for talking with native speakers. Aids may help with a course but they may equally culture bad habits.

But then perhaps theres benefits to homogenizing languages, much as we see in many national media outlets. And it is certainly remarkable what's available online now. I've seen stories of young people getting degrees by taking courses from multiple institutions online. The key then is having a host institution who will grant the result, even if you were only an occasional student.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    I laughed reading the article. On the weekend, I was chatting with a friend. He had learned some of a foreign language with the help of a female friend before he headed off on a trip. We he got there, the men all sniggered when he spoke. They finally told him he talked like a girl.

I can see that soon we'll have TV and Google based idioms of the worlds languages. Like the aliens in the movie Explorers who spoke in radioese. It's wonderful to be able to connect with other cultures more directly but I'm not sure there's any real substitute for talking with native speakers. Aids may help with a course but they may equally culture bad habits.

But then perhaps theres benefits to homogenizing languages, much as we see in many national media outlets. And it is certainly remarkable what's available online now. I've seen stories of young people getting degrees by taking courses from multiple institutions online. The key then is having a host institution who will grant the result, even if you were only an occasional student.
    When we all start using Instagram, everyone will immediately know what we are saying, regardless of language differences.

Meanwhile, the service gets constant derision as "twitter for those who can't read".
    -- Bob Primak --