5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Talking Microsoft unveils preview of a new Windows

SPECIAL REPORT

Microsoft unveils preview of a new Windows

By Woody Leonhard

At a much anticipated event held in San Francisco, Microsoft vice president Terry Myerson unveiled the official Technical Preview of the next Windows.

The presentation packed several surprises, not the least of which is the new operating system's name: Windows 10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/special-report/microsoft-unveils-preview-of-a-new-Windows (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2014-10-01 at 16:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been running 10 since noon yesterday and it seems to be a impressive Windows 8.2 (maybe if you add 8+2 in some one's mind at MS it adds up to 10. But it matters not. I LIKE IT. I'm glad some ADULT at Microsoft stepped in and told the kiddies that tablet/phone GUIs do not belong in a desktop computer. I had one blue screen of death so far , it's cute new screen with a giant sad face. so far I noticed NOD32's HIP system does not work in this preview / beta.

I'm disappointed that so far no one seems to be saying anything about Media Center not being in the Tech Preview. I intend to update all 8 computers in my home from 7 to 10 ONLY if W10 has Media Center. I look forward to your next article mentioning this.

thank you
    Last edited by rtoledo2002; 2014-10-02 at 17:34.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What if my machine is connected to a KVM, and the KVM port that it connected to is not active at the time of the boot up? Will it still go to the Desktop directly?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a answer for you. sorry and just to be clear I was talking about windows 8.1.

windows 10 works great so far with the exceptions of a few programs I'm running are causing problem

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It used to be that if I didn't have my Linksys 4-port PS/2 KVM selected to a computer while it's booting up it will miss the keyboard for that computer and the BIOS will balk, stops the boot process. My newer TrendNET USB KVM seems to let the BIOS identify that a keyboard is attached and the boot continues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 10 is running in VirtualBox on my testing 8.1 machine. The new interface is too much like the Windows 7 interface I despised. My company runs quite nicely on Windows 8.1 and I will have to be convinced that Windows 10 offers benefit before we will switch. Hmmm...that sounds like the XP folks .