3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Professional shuts down as soon as it boots up

I currently have a very old Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (updated as much as possible until its end of life).

I have had this problem intermittently over the last couple of years (2 or 3 times per year), but now it occurs on just about every boot up.

My Desktop boots up normally, but then abruptly shuts itself off.
    I reboot it & it does the same over & over & over again.

In the past, I would just click on my Printer icon as soon as it came up & then clicking on one of its tabs kept it from shutting itself off again.

That no longer works, but now I have determined that clicking on the Fingerprint icon & then clicking one of its tabs does work.

My Power Options on this Desktop are ALL ALWAYS ON.
    My Desktop does NOT ever go on Standby NOR does it Hibernate.
    The Monitor, drives, etc. NEVER power off.

Since Internet Explorer for XP is even more out of date than XP itself, I now use Chrome as my browser.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
    Try the clean boot procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Jerry

Thanks
    Either you have a hardware failure somewhere in the system or your operating system is in dire need of a reinstall.

...but with the printer comment you made I'm tending toward software.

Checking the Event Viewer should be among the first things to do
    after you've clean booted.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the last known boot option. Might work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should try a thorough physical cleaning inside the PC too.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THANKS all for your valued guidance.

Just as an update, I wanted to say that this morning when I turned on my Desktop Computer, it booted up properly & more importantly, it did NOT shut itself down again. And, I did NOT have to intervene to make that happen.

Through just sheer procrastination, I am nearly a year past due from replacing that Desktop & plan on doing so before the end of 2014.

I just want it to live long enough to transfer everything I need from it to the new Desktop. Then, I will delete everything & re-install just what I want to keep on it.

And yes, I do regularly perform images of each entire Hard Drive, but the Desktop has to survive for me to restore to it if ever needed.

Thanks
    You might want to open it up and clean out any dust accumulation on the processor/heat sink assembly with a can of compressed air in case its overheating.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I WILL try all of the suggestions made to me.

It probably IS dirty inside, since it has NEVER been cleaned - although it is in a very clean environment.

QUESTION is though:
    Since the problem is on boot up in the morning after it has been off all night for approx 14 hours or more, heat should not be causing this?

Thanks
    If you have a large accumulation of dust (happens even in a relatively clean environment especially if the PC is on the floor), it doesn't take long to overheat. Also, when blowing out the heatsink/fan, it's a good idea to hold a fan blade to keep it from overspinning and ruining the bearings when you blow it out. When you open up the box, after cleaning it, power the computer up and verify that the fan is spinning at a good rate. They do go bad.

Jerry

Thanks
    QUESTION is though:
    Since the problem is on boot up in the morning after it has been off all night for approx 14 hours or more, heat should not be causing this?
    It would be unlikely to heatup so fast where it causes reboots,
    ...unless you have the processor's heatsink come loose from it's base or have a total
    heatsink fan failure.
    Open up the case if you feel comfotable doing so and check to see that the processor
    heatsink is attached well without being loose. You can also check for dust build-up.
    Keep the case open and turn the computer on to check that your fan is indeed functioning.

When you do get it up and running past the loggon, check the event viewer's admin section for errors corresponding to the appropriate times.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-10-04 at 09:12.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Boot loop Problem in WinXP

Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    I currently have a very old Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (updated as much as possible until its end of life).

I have had this problem intermittently over the last couple of years (2 or 3 times per year), but now it occurs on just about every boot up.

My Desktop boots up normally, but then abruptly shuts itself off.
    I reboot it & it does the same over & over & over again.

In the past, I would just click on my Printer icon as soon as it came up & then clicking on one of its tabs kept it from shutting itself off again.

That no longer works, but now I have determined that clicking on the Fingerprint icon & then clicking one of its tabs does work.

My Power Options on this Desktop are ALL ALWAYS ON.
    My Desktop does NOT ever go on Standby NOR does it Hibernate.
    The Monitor, drives, etc. NEVER power off.

Since Internet Explorer for XP is even more out of date than XP itself, I now use Chrome as my browser.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    I would open the case and pull out RAM strips and clean-off the dust from these. Try this. I have experienced similar random shutdowns due to dust on RAMs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or the RAM itself could be failing. If you have some spare RAM of the same specs, try replacing it and see if the problem goes away. Even if that results in less total RAM in the system, anything over 1 GB should work fine. Actually, 512 MB gives decent performance if you don't open a lot of large apps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE:

Has booted properly every morning for the last 7 days straight.

Will clean out the insides, but want to 1st finish CRITICAL work in progress before Desktop just dies on me. Hopefully, it only needs cleaning.

Thanks
    would open the case and pull out RAM strips and clean-off the dust from these.

Clean the dust off FIRST. You don't want a stray particle to end up in the slot!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.