Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Photo-opening problem

new to the forum, so first thing is to say 'HI' to everyone. came across this forum whilst looking on the net for a solution to a problem a friend has with his computer. hope someone can advise as to what to do to correct the issue.

friend and wife went on holiday, took some photos and they were transferred on to the computer from the sd card of the camera. the photos were viewable in Windows Photo Viewer. now the same photos are not viewable. what he gets is a small white box with a red cross in it. the message that opens is:

'windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer'

have tried using 'paint' and 'photo gallery' but no luck. did try to change the photo extension from png to jpeg and re-save, but no good. did try to save images to another partition, ghost the hdd back, then try to open them, but still no good. dont know what he's done but.........

could anyone please help with what has happened, perhaps why and how to fix it please?

many TIA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    PNG files can be opened in Internet Explorer or other browsers - right click on the file and select "Open with".
    They can also be opened in VLC, a free viewer/player for all things media.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Grim,

EVERYBODY should have Irfanview:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tnx Paul T for reply.

do you mean i should try to open the files in Internet Explorer, rather than a photo program? no problem to try that but how could he have associated the photos with IE rather than something like Photo Viewer?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your error message indicates that Photo Viewer is the default viewer, but may not support the file format your camera produces - it should, but something is amiss. You can try opening the photos in IE etc to prove it's a Photo Viewer issue.

cheers, Paul

p.s. I meant Irfanview, not VLC - thanks Zig.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi again Paul T. tnx for further reply.
    i hope to get chance to go see the guy on monday, so can try what you suggest. something i wondered, as the photos wont open in either Photo Viewer or Photo Gallery was whether taking a copy of the .dlls from my Photo Viewer program folder and replace those on his machine would help? you may well guess i am running out of things i can think of to try, hence my appreciation of the suggestions here.

ps. i had guessed you meant Irfanview :-)

Thanks
    .png isn't a format used by cameras. In most cases they use .jpeg format. It appears that he saved the pictures in the wrong format somehow. Go back to the SD card and save the pictures in the correct format. If the card was wiped but has not been used, use Recuva to attempt to recover the images.

http://recuva.en.softonic.com/

PS. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Swapping dlls could cause all sorts of problems.

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2014-10-05 at 06:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi Calimanco. tnx for the reply

i didn't know that png wasn't a camera format. shows my level of camera use, doesn't it. it hadn't occurred to me that the option you suggest may have accidentally been done. as i said above, i am sure he has reused the card, but i can try to do as you suggest to get maybe even some of the images back. also said i had tried to save one of the images again as jpeg but didn't work. tnx also for the link to the recuva software. will probably need it,

Thanks
    You cant just change the file extension. You must properly convert the file. Irfanview will convert .png to .jpeg, but I'm not sure if it will work here. If you can open one of the pictures in Irfanview, you can convert it using Files>Save as. If it works, you can convert the rest in bulk. If the picture wont open, obviously it wont convert.
    If you download Irfanview, don't forget to download the plug ins as well.

http://www.irfanview.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tnx for further reply and info. i'm gonna try to go round tomorrow and try what has been suggested. will post back later

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I open .png files in Windows Paint [in Accessories] and for posting re-save [Save As] using the .jpg format, makes the file size smaller. The name can stay the same but the change of extension makes it a different file. The free programs mentioned work as does the free Paint.NET. My Canon cameras save as .jpg or I can use .raw but the .raw files are much larger and better used by professionals wanting the best quality available. I've seen where 200 .raw files filled an 8GB while it was supposed to hold 3 thousand of .jpg format.
    http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...-memory-device

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tnx for the extra info, Berton. i did try to open one of the photos in paint, but it couldn't open it. waste of time i know, but i did try just saving the file as jpeg but obviously no good. i really dont know what he's done but will try to look again tomorrow if he's in. will update if i find a solution

Thanks
    PG
    If it should turn out that the files were saved in RAW format the camera's proprietary s/w maybe required to view and convert as (if AIB manufacturers are still using there own formats)

AIB = as I believe
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    have you tried GIMP ?

Not the easiest, but certainly one of the best.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    if manufacturers are still using there own formats
    RAW refers to the format on the camera itself, so yes, manufacturers use their own formats.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast