5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BadUSB for real.

I can see the death of USB which is sad.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/68...he-end-for-usb

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems it's more FUD than reality. Long live USB.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    we had the same problem with 5" floppies
    and diskettes too

they did not get killed off

just practice safe computing

Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    I can see the death of USB which is sad.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/68...he-end-for-usb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    I can see the death of USB which is sad...
    The "BadUSB" theoretical threat in the article was discussed several months ago in another thread on this forum. AFAIK nothing much has changed to affect us in the lower levels of the food-chain (and I doubt it will).

Until about two years ago I regularly encountered cases wherein the customer had plugged a USB storage device (usually a USB "thumbdrive" or "flash drive", but in one case a USB HDD) into a remote PC, in almost all cases at various educational institutions (in one or two cases they were travel organisations). If the remote PC was infected with a certain exploit files would be copied to the USB device, including an "Autorun.inf" file, without the user's knowledge. If the USB device was subsequently connected to another PC the "Autorun.inf" file would cause the infection to be copied to that PC.

Long before the situation I have described in the previous paragraph I began using "Total Commander" on my USB thumbdrives & HDDs (see http://www.ghisler.com/). "Total Commander" is an advanced dual-pane "file manager" program which shows all files on whichever drive is connected - if there are unexpected files present then something can be done about it immediately (e.g.: delete the baddies).

Most users of USB devices use them in a "closed circuit" environment. I.e.: they have one-or-many USB devices they plug into their various desktops/laptops at home, but never into remote PCs; so they are unlikely to pick up any such infection.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.