New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems Printing To Savin MP301spf

Got a customer who has a Lenovo AIO PC connected via wireless to their network trying to print to a Savin MP301SPF. The Savin is connected via Cat5e to the network. There is also another Lenovo AIO PC connected via wireless. Both PC's are Windows 8.1.

Both PC's were printing just fine from July when the bought the Savin. About a week ago one of the PC's would not print to the Savin. the other one has no problems.

I've checked both printer setups and there is no difference. The ports on both are going to the same IP address, same drivers, etc.

Ive uninstalled the Savin from the problem child, deleted the TCP/IP port and reinstalled by building a new port, reinstalling the printer with a fresh set of drivers from the Savin site and still cannot get this one PC to print even a test page.

I can open the print queue and see the document hit it, but it gets no further and eventually errors out.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you see the printer on the network from the troubled PC?

Have you checked the firewall on the PC?

What changed on the PC about the time the problem started?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did the new printer get recognized by the installation of the Networked Printer version of the software? I use HP Officejet and Laserjet on my Peer-to-Peer Network and the printers got recognized and established the IP address so I just accepted what they wanted. The only issue I have now is when wanting to print to other than the Default is being sure to choose the printer instead of the Fax printer of the same name.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you see the printer on the network from the troubled PC?

Have you checked the firewall on the PC?

What changed on the PC about the time the problem started?

Joe
    Turned out to be the firewall. Shortly after posting I went to the customer and checked over everything again, one of them being the firewall McAfee). One more time - I turned it off and the problem was still there so turned it back on, rebooted and this time I reset it to defaults and the printer started printing.

Should have done this the first time, but I thought that by turning off the McAfee firewall would have any ports that it was blocking opened back up.

I guess third-party firewalls are ok for some, but I've never had problems going with the Windows firewall and a good NAT router.

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Did the new printer get recognized by the installation of the Networked Printer version of the software? I use HP Officejet and Laserjet on my Peer-to-Peer Network and the printers got recognized and established the IP address so I just accepted what they wanted. The only issue I have now is when wanting to print to other than the Default is being sure to choose the printer instead of the Fax printer of the same name.
    Thanks Berton

I generally try to avoid the installation routines provided by the manufactirer, opting instead to build the port and point it to the drivers themselves, then manually configuring everything. There's just too much overhead the manufacturer's routines want to install for my liking.

I did get the problem resolved. See my reply to JoeP517.

Thanks for your input, though.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe