Thread: Your thoughts..

Banned Member
    Thanks

Your thoughts..

Was told to put questions about Win 10 in this thread. I'm keen to hear people's thoughts about it, as much as questions. Be cool if everything Win 10 related was here or in one place. There's lots of posts elsewhere, right now... but, likely they will all be moved here, soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, what do y'all reckon? Do you like Win10 or...? I am interested & curious as to what comments there may be.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10S.jpg

This was written from Win 10 x64 running on a Hyper-V VM
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-03 at 21:46.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    The Task View button is cool & better than using Alt-Tab. But, seems unnecessary as one could, always see & select things via the Taskbar. But, still, it's fun playing w/ Win10, discovering & leaning all that it offers.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10S.jpg

Thanks
    I find the task and search icons just take up wasted space on the taskbar and you can't remove them. I submitted Windows feedback and found many prior recommendations to provide an option to remove them and added my "Me to".

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry, I, also, agree. Even though that Task View button may be 'easier' than Alt-Tab, both icons are unnecessary, a waste of space & redundant. One could & still, can glide over the Taskbar to see & select things w/out that Task view button. There are lots of ways to search; heck, now, a search box is back on a start menu w/ (another) search button right beside its button, yeeesh, eh? Bit of overkill, really.

Two things I would like changed:
    1. If there has to be a start menu, have it w/out Tiles there, as well.
    2. APPs can be made Full Screen but, want them to not open that way initially.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    1. If there has to be a start menu, have it w/out Tiles there, as well.
    You can unpin all the tiles:

How to Make the Windows 10 Start Menu Look More Like Windows 7

Bruce

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, though I feel there should be a button or something,1 click to defeat that portion; not by removing all the default tiles one by one.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Bruce beat me to it but you might also be interested in:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-wa...art-menu/#8217

Single click option might be nice but you only need to do this once so its not a big deal.

Jerry

Thanks
    2. APPs can be made Full Screen but, want them to not open that way initially.
    Open a Modern app
    Resize it the way you want
    Close the app
    The next time you open the app it should be windowed to the size you set it at.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, thanks, Jerry, aware of that; had discovered that mucking about myself. What I am advocating & wanting is a 1-clk option to enable or disable that portion which holds Tiles not, removing them one by one (which, I have done). I suppose you're right that it's not a big deal, as is... just like things kept slick & simple. If the intent is to be rid of the section, why not all @ once? is my thought.

I am, also, aware of your 2nd point. What I'd like to see is that Store Apps don't open, initially, Full Screen on the Desktop. If one wants to made them Full Screen that should come 2nd, IMHO.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-05 at 13:47.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I prefer having to bother w/ a start menu as little as possible IF there can be more direct access. W/ certain things, anything, frequent things, able to be Pinned to Taskbar start isn't needed as much or as often. I have it down to PC Setting, its Search box & access to ALL Applications. Basically, what existed using Desktop Toolbar & All Applications on the Taskbar but, with start menu. Also, very close to how Vista & 7 were being used... had quit going to start for much long before win8 came to be. Not suggesting anything here for others... just sharing something or an approach that's personally appealing.

Screenshot (41).JPG

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I am, also, aware of your 2nd point. What I'd like to see is that Store Apps don't open, initially, Full Screen on the Desktop. If one wants to made them Full Screen that should come 2nd, IMHO
    I'm the opposite. I much prefer apps (both desktop and Modern) to open full screen. In any event, shortcuts can be modified to open either way so again its not a big deal.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have often stated that I intensely dislike the start menu (on win 7 et al). I'm OK with it being reintroduced on 10, but has it replaced the start screen or is it an addition?

Thanks
    The Start Menu is enabled on desktops by default. Right clicking on a blank area of the task bar, then on Start Menu gives you an option to enable the Start screen instead. You then have to log out and log back in to get the Start Screen. As they should have done in Windows 8, you can have the interface you prefer instead of having the Start Screen rammed down our throats without a third party app.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, I agree that they should have given us the choice. One thing about MS products is that there's often two or more ways of doing anything, and it's good they are returning to that for the start screen/menu.