3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Pros vs. cons of refilled HP ink cartridges

I have been a faithful user of HP printers for a good many years now, simply because I have gotten reliable service and excellent service from every single one of them. I currently have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 network printer as well as a smaller HP Deskjet 3520 on a wifi network connection as well, and I absolutely intend to keep them both until they stop working and go belly up at some point in the future.

That said, I have gotten absolutely fed up with the price of the HP ink cartridges it takes to keep them both running. I have always bought genuine HP new cartridges and even HP paper as well, simply because I have found I seem to get better than average results from them overall doing that, but with the continuing rise in cost of new cartridges I have begun looking at using refilled/recycled ones. In doing a bit of research on this, I have found refilled cartridges for HP printers for as little as 1/4 to 1/3 the cost, but this brings me to one very big question that is making me hesitate before ordering my first supply of refilled cartridges.

Considering such a major cost difference, do refilled cartridges work as well as new ones? At this point I can only compare the purchase price (AKA "comparing apples and oranges?"), but what about long term effects (if any) on the print quality and printers of making such a switch? If there is such a person out there reading this, I would really appreciate hearing from someone out there who can speak from experience on this subject before I jump out of the frying pan into the fire itself. PLEASE share your opinions with me pro and con if you will. I thank you in advance for any suggestions.

David E. Cann

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The only refilled cartridges I've seen people have success with have been from Cartridge World. The downside of some the brand-name ink cartridges [maybe all of them] is they have a date on the packaging which tends to be the expiration date of the warranty on them, use after that date and no guaranteed results. I have an HP Officejet 8600 and an HP Laserjet M1212nf connected by Ethernet on my Network.

Thanks
    Here in the UK the use of non-HP cartridges used to invalidate the printer's warranty. I don't know what the current situation is in the States but something to consider.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Here in the UK the use of non-HP cartridges used to invalidate the printer's warranty. I don't know what the current situation is in the States but something to consider.
    A long time ago, perhaps:

The warranty on a printer may not apply if the printer is damaged by the use of non-approved supplies. In the US the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a federal law which states that warrantors cannot require that only brand name parts and supplies be used with their products, as some printer manufacturers imply. However, this would not apply if non-approved items cause damage. In the UK, a printer manufacturer cannot lawfully impose such conditions as part of its warranty (Regina Vs Ford Motor Company refers) although many attempt to do so illegally.
    Third-party ink and cartridges

The use of non-HP print cartridges does not affect either the warranty or any maintenance contract purchased from Hewlett-Packard. However, if an HP LaserJet printer failure or printer damage is found to be directly attributed to the use of any non-HP product, the repair will not be covered under the warranty or HP maintenance contract.
    Use of Non-HP Print Cartridges

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the USA, it is illegal BY FEDERAL LAW for HP or anyone else to invalidate your printer warranty for using remanufactured (or refilled) cartridges, despite what HP continues to tell people. I just want to hear from people who have used them over a period of time to see if they have had satisfactory results. Both of my printers are beyond the warranty period anyway, so the warranty period is not any issue any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post

David E. Cann

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My post was misunderstood, my reference to the warranty was for the Brands cartridges themselves, not for the printer itself.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    My post was misunderstood, my reference to the warranty was for the Brands cartridges themselves, not for the printer itself.
    I don't think your post was commented upon.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before this string gets too far off track, I want to get back to my original question. In a few words, if anyone out there has used "remanufactured" printer cartridges or otherwise knows about them, I simply would like to know if they worked satisfactorily and did a proper job as the new ones seem to do at 3 or 4 times the cost. If anyone is able to share his/her experience along these lines with me, I would appreciate any information on the subject before I make a major change in the way I have done things over quite a few years now. In short, can remanufactured ink cartridges reasonably be expected to working as well as new ones, and without problems? Thanks.

David E. Cann

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Before this string gets too far off track, I want to get back to my original question. In a few words, if anyone out there has used "remanufactured" printer cartridges or otherwise knows about them, I simply would like to know if they worked satisfactorily and did a proper job as the new ones seem to do at 3 or 4 times the cost. If anyone is able to share his/her experience along these lines with me, I would appreciate any information on the subject before I make a major change in the way I have done things over quite a few years now. In short, can remanufactured ink cartridges reasonably be expected to working as well as new ones, and without problems? Thanks.
    Have you considered a continuous ink system?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system
    Quite a few of these on EBay.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. As noted, I am looking for an unbiased opinion on the pros and cons of refilled/remanufactured cartridges to replace new ones at four times the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    Have you considered a continuous ink system?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system
    Quite a few of these on EBay.

David E. Cann

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP 8500 printer. I use refillable cartridges from Stratitec (www.stratitec.com), aka DataTekUSA. I have had no problems with them and the ink level indicators reset automatically when refilled. If you're using HP cartridges now, just make sure that you use the same kind of ink as the OEM. You can go to the HP site and the description will tell you if it is pigment or dye. I believe that HP uses pigment for all colors(please double check as I haven't looked for a while).
    The only problem I had was when I accidentally mixed types and it clogged the print head. It took me a while to clean that out.
    btw, the cost of ink this way is about 25% or less of what HP charges.
    Good luck.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP Deskjet 970Cxi. Initially, I used HP ink cartridges, but during its 14 year life I have primarily used recycled cartridges from a variety of suppliers. Using recycled cartridges is not only a good value, but its also good for the environment. Over the years I did have a few recycled cartridges that refused to work or did not print well, but they were replaced by the supplier. The last few years my favorite supplier has been LD Products (http://www.ldproducts.com). I had a couple of cartridges from them that, initially, didn’t work, but the problem turned out to just be dry ink clogging the print head. To resolve that take an empty, clean, shallow tin can, like a tuna tin, fill part way with warm water and then hold the print head in the water for one to three minutes. After that, blot the print head on a folded, damp paper towel a few times to prime the print head and pull the ink out. After that it should be good to go. Ironically, the only ink cartridge that damaged my printer was an HP cartridge, so they had to replace the printer.
    Last edited by cloudsandskye; 2014-10-17 at 08:34.