Thread: Heat issues

New Lounger
    Thanks

Heat issues

A friend asked me to help him with his desktop. His Intel quad core I7 intermittently runs hotter than it should...he does not see a pattern nor is it consistent......he sent me a screen shot and 1 core was about 73 degrees centigrade and another 63 degrees. I looked at running processes with task manager and Idle processes were at the top with 94 percent with everything else normal (client server 2%, several 1%, then zero%'s ), while at the bottom it said CPU usage was 5%. He was using Speedfan to look at temps.

I am looking for any advice here. Since the issue only occurs every several days, and is not consistent or runs with a pattern, to me it does not appear to be hardware. I know that idle processes can use up some cpu at times, though I do not understand the 5% number at the bottom with the 94% listed above. I ran a rescue disk to make sure there were no hidden viruses and then scanned with Malwarebytes, the pc appears to be clean. Any ideas ???? Thank you!!
    Gwing

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd try a different hardware monitor to be sure it's correct - your motherboard manufacturer probably has one.
    For 1 core to be significantly hotter than the others you may have a heatsink issue where the thermal paste has not been applied evenly, or the heatsink was removed and replaced, disturbing the thermal paste. The only way to sure that is to remove the heatsink, clean off the thermal paste and apply new paste.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

gwing (2014-10-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I'd try a different hardware monitor to be sure it's correct - your motherboard manufacturer probably has one.
    For 1 core to be significantly hotter than the others you may have a heatsink issue where the thermal paste has not been applied evenly, or the heatsink was removed and replaced, disturbing the thermal paste. The only way to sure that is to remove the heatsink, clean off the thermal paste and apply new paste.

cheers, Paul
    You could have one core hotter than another if the current processing load isn't evenly distributed amongst the available cores. You can see the current loads on a per core basis in Windows 8 by running Resource Monitor. I can't recall if Windows 7 Resource Monitor will show core loads as well but I think it does.

Jerry

Thanks
    Alternative (better) temp monitoring software:

HWMonitor
    Real Temp

If those temps are in Celsius, that's way too hot for a system at idle.
    I'm willing to bet it IS a hardware issue, at least in part anyway.
    Idle temperatures above 50 to 60C indicate a poorly matched processor heat sink/fan.

If idle process runs high and the computer is slow, check this out.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

gwing (2014-10-05)

Thanks
    I agree with Clint. The stock fan provided with the CPU is adequate when new, but over time, the blades can become coated in crud. This and mechanical wear can cause a loss of efficiency. A more efficient fan can be obtained cheaply. Another problem is that the thermal compound at the base of the fan can fail. This should be cleaned off carefully and replaced.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Another problem is that the thermal compound at the base of the fan can fail
    I doubt this is possible, we'd see a raft of early CPU failures if this was the case.

cheers, Paul