New Lounger
    Thanks

Re-arranged Desktop icons after KB3001554 update

Yesterday my Desktop suddenly opened with all icons re-arranged. I noticed that the day before Windows Update installed KB3001554 automatically even though I have it set up to allow me to apply updates manually. So I ran System Restore to get everything back to normal and then applied the update manually. Today when I opened Windows all icons re-arranged themselves again. So I ran a Restore but have not applied the update. Anyone else having similar symptoms?
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That WU installed trouble free for me in Win 7 x64 HP.

The only time my desktop icons get a little rearranged is after I've updated the graphics drivers, but after installing the WU, set your icons then use the patch to rebuild the icon cache or Step 5 in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-08 at 03:15.

Thanks
    Rather than trying to be King Canute, rearrange the icons as you want them by dragging them with the mouse, right click on the Desktop, click on view and check that Align Icons to grid is selected and Auto arrange icons isn't. Now wait and see if the icons stay put.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    b,

rearrange the icons as you want them by dragging them with the mouse, right click on the Desktop, click on view and check that Align Icons to grid is selected and Auto arrange icons isn't.
    Having done that, log off (not shut down or restart) and log back in.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your replies but I figured it out. It seems that my HDMI splitter (by GE) was the culprit. When switched over to Apple TV while using my PC and then switched back the symptoms appeared. Never noticed that happen before. So when I discovered WU slipped on in on the sly, I got suspicious. Sorry Microsoft. Chalk it up to another Apple/PC glitch. Sorry to waste everybody's time

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well at least it wasn't because of a rogue WU for a change - but glad you were able to sort it.