Thread: AdChoice

New Lounger
    Thanks

AdChoice

Does anyone know how to get rid of the ever increasing AdChoice ads. They seem to multiply.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article suggests using 3 malware scanners but for those sort of PuPs, AdwCleaner seems to be more effective.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...AdwCleaner seems to be more effective...

I have found AdwCleaner to be very good at removing infections. However, it is not enough on its own.

My long-time favourite is "Spybot Search and Destroy" (see http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/), which is one of the first anti-spyware programs (and still one of the best).

I have also found MBAM ("MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" see http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) to be very good, and it works well along with Spybot and AdwCleaner.

There are other other tools which can be used effectively against spyware/adware/scareware such as "HiJackThis", "Autoruns", "Combofix", etc. but these are beyond the capabilities of most ordinary users (they require some technical knowledge to use safely).

There are a number of other programs available to scan/remove spyware/adware/scareware (SpywareHunter, SuperAntiSpyware, etc.) but I tend to stick with the ones listed above which I have thoroughly tested (imaged a known-infected Windows partition, then tested each program after restoring the image - Spybot & MBAM were by far most effective).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy AdwCleaner is not effective

Quote Originally Posted by Garbn View Post
    Does anyone know how to get rid of the ever increasing AdChoice ads. They seem to multiply.
    Tried this and it did not get rid of any ads; it is a total bust, and they still come ever increasing. Will try one of the others.