Star Lounger
    Thanks

$NTUninstall cleanup

Am about to start on annual computer clean-up/maintenance….Can someone give me the best way to remove old $NTUninstalls…..Thanks in advance….
    H/P Pavilion a6400f / Pent Dual Core / Win Vista-SP2 / IE 9 / Chrome / OFFICE 2007 / AVG2015 (Free) / MalwareBytes / Windows Firewall / Verizon DSL / E-mail AOL9.7 / Printer H/P OfficeJet 6700 All In One / Canon SX160 Camera / CCleaner2014 (Free)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Only found this article and it looks like a slow job http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Hotfix_backup.htm

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yup, it's manual. I'd do an image backup first.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you have XP, CCleaner can remove them. You may have to run it two or three times to get them all.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Thanks
    Disk Cleanup: deleting unnecessary files: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
    (specific to Vista)

Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenting

After the installation and optimization of Windows, it is time to clean up the unnecessary files of the hard disk. Deleting the unnecessary files, followed by a defragmentation of the hard disk improves system performances significantly. Do not expect any miracles, but every small improvement is important. In comparison to Windows XP, there are not that many files to delete safely in Windows Vista. Besides that, removing the files is not always that easy because they have been secured. But there are still files which can be deleted safely and create additional free space.

Make certain you perform an image based backup first, as others have said, these
    are MANUAL removal instructions that have the potential of going sideways.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-10-06 at 11:17.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a free utility available which will remove selected $NTUninstall folders, AND their corresponding registry entries, from Windows XP. I used it for years, when I had XP, and it worked as advertised. See: http://www.tech-pro.net/download.php?clickid=359

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not difficult to delete these old uninstall files. When I get around to it, I'll click the column heading so there're listed by date, then start deleting, but only for those older than 3 months- just in case.