Thread: uefi bios

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

uefi bios

Have a new laptop and would like to install Win 7 on a separate partition but bios (I assume) won't let me. Have gone into boot options and tried uefi-secure boot off and legacy-secure boot off and still cannot boot from usb stick.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Is your USB stick UEFI bootable? This link might be of some use. I'm dual booting Windows 7/8 on my laptop and now on my desktop.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

rlfvt (2014-10-07)

Thanks
    A few things to bear in mind before installing W7.

http://www.pagestart.com/win8dbwin701181301.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

rlfvt (2014-10-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Have a new laptop and would like to install Win 7 on a separate partition but bios (I assume) won't let me. Have gone into boot options and tried uefi-secure boot off and legacy-secure boot off and still cannot boot from usb stick.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich
    If you're trying to boot from a USB stick, you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI so that it looks for the USB stick before the hard drive.

Another thing to keep in mind when trying to set up a multiboot machine is that Windows only recognizes/allows up to 4 "primary" partitions. I ran into this limitation last week when attempting to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on a laptop. Turned out that the manufacturer (Lenovo) had used up the whole allotment of primary partitions (200MB for the MBR, then Windows 7, then the recovery partition, and finally a mysterious empty 20GB "OEM drive"). I was only able to install Win10TP when I read that you could change the Windows 7 and recovery partitions from "primary" to "logical." (I also had to change from UEFI boot to BIOS, although then I could change that back to UEFI once Win10 was installed.) You will have to do this using either a Linux live CD or a specialized disk partitioning CD (I used Partition Wizard), as you can't do it from within Windows.

I can (probably) still track down the reference for changing the partitions from primary to logical.

EDIT: Here's the link to the discussion about partitioning a hard disk in preparation for the installation of a second OS. Read the whole thread carefully, but pages 1, 3, and 5 will be especially useful. In my case, I had recently installed a bigger hard disk but hadn't gotten around to doing anything with the extra space at the end. I had to convert both my Win7 and recovery drives to Logical, and then I was able to create a new Primary partition at the eend of the disk for Win10.
    Last edited by JorgeA; 2014-10-15 at 15:12. Reason: reference information; correction

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Installed Win 10 on its own partition on my desktop which is not uefi. Works fine in a dual boot environment.
    Decided not to mess with the laptop for now after reading the link in Calimanco's post although I'm sure that before too long I'll do something that destroys my oem and recovery partitions. Just the way I roll but I learn something new each time and have fun along the way. Frustrations just a byproduct.

Thanks for the replies.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote