2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network printing

I have a recurring problem with printing to printers on my network. I have three (sometimes four) Win 7 pcs and two HP printers on my local network with a D-Link router type CIR 655 – with up to date firmware. Both the Printers are set for DHCP ip allocation. The problem is in four parts – in rough order of importance:
    1. At (apparently) random intervals the ips the router thinks is allocated to the printers becomes different from what the printers report their ip being. (Recently, for example, the ip’s got crossed between the printers resulting in a command to print to one printer producing reams of paper from the other.) Rebooting the pc, router and or printers has no effect.
    2. The only recourse seems to be to remove the printers and then add them back in. Adding in by name never works so they are always added in by the ip the printer wizard finds.
    3. Deleting the ports the printers with the wrong ips seems to be a useful part of the operation – but is often declined by windows.
    4. Similarly ‘removing’ a printer seems to always work – until the ‘windows and devices’ page is refreshed when usually the ‘removed’ printers return. They are ‘greyed out’ but appear in the list of printers offered when a ‘print’ command issued – causing confusion.

As one observation, sometimes it is possible to tinker with the port allocations on one pc to make them match what the printers define as their ip. If this is done, then printing from that pc then works, but does not (of course) from the other pc’s.
    Another observation – changing the name of the HP 2600N printer via browsing the printer resulted in the router seeing the name change correctly. Changing the OfficeJet 6700P name the same way also changed the name seen by the router – but not to the same value as the printer reported.

Any suggestions short of throwing the printers / router / pcs out of the window welcomed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I've never had to set up multiple printers - being a home user, I think it's best to assign each printer with a static IP address outside of the router's DHCP range.

Prior to uninstalling a printer, I've found it's best to remove the device from Devices and Printers first as you get incremented networks showing up in the print command window after reinstalling.

I suppose as a workaround you could install one of the printers onto two of the machines and the other printer onto the other two machines and then nothing/no one is likely to get confused.

Thanks
    I just reserved an IP address in my router for my wireless printer and it works for all my desktop, laptop, and two Ipads. It doesn't have to beoutside the DHCP range, just reserved so it never gets assigned differently.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

It has been my experience that I'm better off using Fixed IP addresses for my printers. I've set my Router's DHCP to start allocating addresses at 192.168.1.100.
    DHCP.JPG
    I used to use the lower IP addresses for my Printers and NAS. This way they are always at the same IP addresses and I can use that IP when installing drivers/software for the devices.

My new Linksys router allows you to reserve addresses in the software.
    Reservations.JPG

You can see a holdover from the old system with my printer.
    Printer.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partially OK

Thanks all for the advice.
    Using fixed ip's may well be the way to go - though I have a nasty feeling that a decade (or whatever) ago I ran fixed ips - had problems and was advised to go DHCP - which has worked ok for some years - but now seems to be problematic.

Re the advice to "remove" printers - my problem is they do not stay removed. They obligingly vanish from the Devices and Printers window when removed, but if the window is closed and re-opened - or closed, reboot and re-opened, there they are back again - albeit grey - but showing up in a Ctrl-P printer list still (see my original point 4)

Any ideas on this - or on the port deletion?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the advice was to remove the printer icons from Devices and Printers prior to uninstalling the printers, otherwise they will return if all you are doing is deleting the icons.

DHCP is better for Network adapters whereas static IPs are more positive for printers etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think static IPs are better in every respect for any device or computer you connect to repeatedly. The only problem with that is if something in the network changes or especially if connecting to different networks (mobile), it can break the static IP arrangement and whereas DHCP has a chance of correcting automatically, static IPs can only be corrected manually.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I think static IPs are better in every respect for any device or computer you connect to repeatedly. The only problem with that is if something in the network changes or especially if connecting to different networks (mobile), it can break the static IP arrangement and whereas DHCP has a chance of correcting automatically, static IPs can only be corrected manually.
    I agree with the caveat that the static IPs must either be reserved in the DHCP server (typically your router) or outside of the range the DHCP server uses so it never assigns the IP to a different box.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think the advice was to remove the printer icons from Devices and Printers prior to uninstalling the printers, otherwise they will return if all you are doing is deleting the icons.

DHCP is better for Network adapters whereas static IPs are more positive for printers etc.
    There is a clue here - I did not uninstall in Programs and features. Are you suggesting the way to get a clean system is to:
    1. Remove the printers from Devices and Printers,
    2. uninstall the printer sw in Programs and features
    3. delete ports used by the now deleted printers - I have a problem here - I don't know how to get to the port assignments except via the printers we just deleted
    4. add the printers back in Devices and Printers
    5. assign the printers fixed ips in the router and printers

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    There is a clue here - I did not uninstall in Programs and features. Are you suggesting the way to get a clean system is to:
    1. Remove the printers from Devices and Printers,
    2. uninstall the printer sw in Programs and features
    3. delete ports used by the now deleted printers - I have a problem here - I don't know how to get to the port assignments except via the printers we just deleted
    4. add the printers back in Devices and Printers
    5. assign the printers fixed ips in the router and printers
    On the rare occasions I've uninstalled my printer, I've found it's best to first right click on the icons and select Remove device then go Start - All programs - scroll to the printer folder and use the printer's own uninstaller.

You don't need to worry about ports as they will be auto reassigned when you reinstall the printer using its CD and the icons will be reinstated on it installation, so there's nothing for you do with those except perhaps to right click on the Network printer icon and set that as the Default Printer.

The printer will test it's own wireless connection to the router during its set up if you have opted for a wireless connection, but you may have to enter the wireless shared key into the printer's control panel.

After you get a Pass on that, you can try a test Scan of something to the computer (if it's an All-in-One) or whatever and then assign it with a static IP address either as a reserved one within the DHCP range of the router or to one that is outside of it and using its MAC address.

Restart the printer and you should see it's wireless come on when the router has assigned it with the static IP address.

Print something out to it from either or all machines to test and the default printer will be auto highlighted in the computer's print set up page.

If the user clicks on any other then the printer will be seen on screen to go through the motions but there won't be any output.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-11 at 16:50.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks all, I think we have consensus on a plan here