Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Phone, in the market to say goodbye

First of all, is there a "Windows Secrets Windows Phone Discussion Forum?"

I've had my Nokia 900 for a couple of years and I can't find any compelling reason to buy another Windows phone.

Pro:
    MS Office integration
    Nice GUI
    For the most part I really like it

Con:
    Not one institution I do business with has an app for Windows Phone (no remote deposit for instance)
    Browser rendering can be goofy (meh, usually)
    I hardly trust the apps published for the phone any more than the Android cesspool (serious problem)
    The flash LED broke for no "event" reason (ahem, do flashlight apps harm those diodes?)

Today I walked away from lunch with 6 IE windows/tabs open, no big deal right? When the first phone call came in the glass was locked and the caller came up as a phone number even though they were in my address book. That tells me there's more failure than meets the eye or fingertip.

So do the new Windows Phones work any better?

Thanks
    First of all, is there a "Windows Secrets Windows Phone Discussion Forum?"
    Windows phone discussions are located in the Windows Mobile Forum.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-10-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The current crop of Windows Phones work much better than the original 900. Windows Phone 8.1 is very good and the upcoming Update has lots of interesting "stuff". The phones available to you depend on your locale and vendor. You need to check them out closely.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-10-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Windows phone discussions are located in the Windows Mobile Forum.

Jerry

Windows Mobile Forum
    (1 Viewing)

Windows Mobile, Windows CE, PocketPC

I would have posted there but with "one viewing" the prospect of a reply was not promising. I do appreciate the link-repost though.

JoeP517: I'll look at them for sure, testing against the 900's weaknesses. As for stuff, I like stuff! But the APPS issue is A REAL PROBLEM. MS needs to face that fact. The inconsequential apps I couldn't care less, but commercial apps from big business need to be ported to the Windows phone. My credit union has deposit by phone for iPh&And. With two code bases they have the routine figured out to the point where a good MS code tool makes sense to port. And besides, the camera is a big selling point of the Nokia line... remote deposit. This credit union is savvy like that - so where's the tool, where's the promotion MS? Yikes, end of rant, my bad.

Does anyone have a link to a good solid discussion on the Windows App Dilemma?
    Last edited by daddy-o; 2014-10-08 at 18:52.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I own two Windows Phones, one Lumia 800 (still running WP 7.x) and a 620, now running 8.1.

I guess the app thing is the subject of a recurrent discussion on how much it matters and, in my opinion, it really depends on the importance you give to any missing apps that you may want to use. Although sometimes it can be a bit annoying to find out that some app is offered both for Android and iOS and not for WP, I haven't yet found something that I really must use and is not available on WP.

Is this MS's fault? I think they are doing as best as they can, trying to attract developers to the platform. The "unification" of a development model, allowing apps to be developed for regular Windows and ported to WP with little or no effort can be of help, but it will take some time to see the result you'd expect. To be honest, it won't change my view of the OS. I refuse to pay any Apple tax to use any of their hardware and I won't dive into the mess that Android is, just for a couple more apps that I may use. Most apps I have on my phone, I could simply uninstall them, as I hardly use them.

My two cents.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-10-12)

Thanks
    We have two Windows Phone 8.1's in our household. Mine being a Lumia Icon, and the other the new HTC M8. Both are exceptional phones. As far as apps go, on occasion I have wished I had one or two. As an example, I shop a lot at Kroger's / Fry's, Safeway, and WalMart. Windows app nope! But all of these sites open to m.xxxxxx and you know what it is actually better than the apps that I have seen on either Android or IPhones. But everyone's needs are different.
    The improvements and updates MSFT keeps throwing out there are pretty nice, and now with more integration coming with Windows 10, well I think you get the picture.....
    Bad mouth or complain about Windows Phones, you bet I have, and will continue to do so when I don't like something. LOL its my right to do so. Bottom line, nothing is perfect!

PS I for one am sick and tired of the apps yak!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to t8ntlikly For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-10-12)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I own a Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone. Originally it was running Windows Phone 8.0 It has been Upgraded & now, runs Windows Phone 8.1 It was ok before but, I, really, really, like it, now, that it is on 8.1
    No, problems, just works well. Gets me the few APPs that interest me. I may be the wrong one to comment as many APPs available don't matter to me, in the 1st place. 1st & formaost, to me, it's a telephone. Get's my mail, personal and my IT business, Office365 & Web access.
    I like how it works, sturdy, and takes nice photos.
    Syncs well to my computer & my MS Acc't. Easy to move files between it & my PC. Having consistent look, feel & functionality across all my work, play & devices is attractive.
    I would get another Nokia Windows Phone, no question about it. Although, now would be a Windows Phone, due to the MS purchase of that part of Nokia.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows-Phone-8-US-Cellular.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-10-12)

Lounger
    Thanks

Do newer phones do this?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

There are a couple of problems with the Lumia 900 that are really frustrating. Updates have addressed them some but they are not cured. Can you tell me if they have been addressed in newer versions of the HW/SW/OS?

Nokia Drive and receiving phone calls: Basically when a phone call comes in, Drive shuts off. That's a problem when the person who calls want's to know where I am and how long it's going to be. It used to be worse. But it's dangerously distracting even now.

Rendering "grey pop-overs": These days it's not unusual for a website to pop up something on top of a grey background. That code is more than IE can deal with and those sites are unusable.

"Foresight" surveys: I think that's the company. They are popular with site owners and an attempt to say no thanks is thwarted by the browser not letting me get to the button.

The Drive issue is really important.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 8.1 handles multitasking much better than 7.x did, and that means quite a few apps handle themselves a lot better, in a multitasking scenario. I can confirm Nokia Drive behaves very well when you receive a call, it doesn't shut down and keeps working as you would expect.

I don't know about the IE issue, as I don't use the phone for internet browsing that much. IE has been improved and upgraded too, so maybe that has improved as well, but I cannot confirm it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The version of IE on Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 renders many sites as Safari does. See Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1: Internet Explorer for more information.

I'm running the developer preview and can attest that many sites look better than before. Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is supposed to be released in November I think. Of course, unless you have an unlocked phone then it is the carriers who determine when the update is made available to install.

Joe