Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer (IE11) has stopped working

I’m pretty green so please bear with me if this is rubbish/simple stuff for some of you! I’ve looked in the Lounge at “Internet Explorer 11 stopped working after updating to EMET 5.0” by csmart4125 and tried to follow the advice there with no effect. I’ve also looked at "Internet Explorer stopped working" started by Zonnie but I couldn’t follow it – too much technical jargon/abbreviations etc – but, probably like 1400 others who viewed it, I can see parallels to my situation and, if it beat a professional trouble-shooter, I don’t have a chance. The only add-on I have is the Nectar toolbar which gives points for searches. That has been there for ages with no problems anyway.

My Intel core i3 PC with 4GB DDR3 RAM runs Win 7 HP 64-bit SP1, MS Office 2003 (Word, Excel, Publisher, PPoint, Access), IE 11, Google Chrome and Mozilla Thunderbird, and I use both the MS Firewall and AVG Free: all are kept up-to-date. I also find that I have IBM Security Trusteer Rapport and the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit but I’m not at all sure what they do for me! I clean up most days with Ccleaner and fix the registry at the same time and all has been fine for about 18 months since I bought this PC.

Suddenly I have IE stopping and an “Internet Explorer has stopped working - Windows is checking for a solution’’ pane (pain!!) with the only option to Cancel, and that doesn’t seem to have any effect. So I do nothing and wait until it is followed by an “Internet Explorer has stopped working – A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available” with the Close program button being the only option. After clicking Close, it goes on to restart ok but it keeps on happening.

AVG finds nothing amiss. I ran Malwarebytes and it found and quarantined 86 PUPs but nothing else. (How did they get there in such profusion and how important is it to get rid of them?) I have tried uninstalling IE - assuming it to have got corrupted – and re-installing from the Control Panel updating window but the problem persists. And now it has infected Word as well, although that seems to be ok as long as I don’t run IE in the same session. And finally, EMET has started to make quite frequent reports.

I know I’m naughty but my PC refused to make a System Repair disc and wouldn’t go any further with an image without doing so, so I gave up on backing up the system.

That’s an awful lot of information, I hope someone can make something of it for me and advise what I should do, please?

Thanks
    If you are running EMET 5, open it and click on the Apps button.
    clear everything in the iexplorer row and click on OK.

If Malwarebytes found that many PUPs, I would also recommend downloading and running AdwCleaner:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Jerry

Thanks
    Williss,

Please let us know what happened after you followed Jerry's advice.

I'd suggest talking with a computer expert for advice on making a System Repair Disk. I've used mine twice along with the system image on two occasions.

Charles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka, Just want to say thank you for your advice. It is great. I got IE11 up and running again. I thought I was signed in and looking at the threads about EMET causing trouble on IE11 on another page. Wanted to reply my thanks, but found I needed to sign in again. Not sure where the other page is, but did want you to know you helped me with the same problem. I ended up clearing all the check marks in 'aps'-EMET and then started adding them back again. Had a few that, when opening IE11 again, would say 'this page can't be displayed'. then I'd click on "Fix Problem". It came back with no problem to fix. I'd close that window and then the page would show up??? Not sure what the problem was, but I went back and unchecked that one and went on to the next.:-)) Thanks again, Tom

Thanks
    Happy to have been of help. With EMET 5, you may have to follow the same process with other apps. I had problems with Firefox, Chrome, and Office 2007 I had to resolve in the same way.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well this may "fix" the issue but doesn't it completely toss out the purpose of EMET? At least as far as IE 11 is concerned?
    CB

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advice. I'd deleted the whole IE row in EMET Apps then the problem started coming up on Excel as well. In exasperation, I uninstalled EMET. NO CHANGE!! IE & Excel still keep stopping and restarting one step before they stopped.

I'll download adwcleaner but I guess that's another story.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cblounger View Post
    Well this may "fix" the issue but doesn't it completely toss out the purpose of EMET? At least as far as IE 11 is concerned?
    CB
    After disabling the entire row and finding IE now works, You add things back in groups until you find the culprit(s) and only disable them.

The non disabled exceptions still provide plenty of protection. Certainly better than no EMET protection or a non functioning IE.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-10-09 at 13:59.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry. Thanks; I've read about that in another thread but since deletion of EMET hasn't cured my problem ....

Charles; yes, I really must get some advice & help there.

I've downloaded and run adwcleaner. It comes up with a report but I do not know the implications of asking it to delete everything it finds, especially the long list of files in the Registry - I would put the list in here but there are 114 items! i'm looking for advice here please.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you run into EMET issues using IE11 it is most likely an IE add-on that is causing the problem. Try running IE with add-ons disabled. If it runs OK re-enable them one at a time until the culprit is identified. Then, you need to update the add-on or contact the add-on creator for help.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With AdwCleaner, the only items you need to consider are if any appear in the lower window when it has completed its scan which you can then uncheck before hitting the Clean button.

I've always trusted AdwCleaner to delete what it has found in the registry, but if you are wary, then create a restore point and run AdwCleaner again after clicking on Uninstall without first hitting Clean.

Do any of the items it has found include Babylon, Searchqu or Delta Search or any of the other items that Junkware Removal Tool deals with, which you can view when you click on the JRT link lower down on the ADW/bleepingcomputer.com page ?

Thanks
    I've always deleted everything AdwCleaner found without issue.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you run into EMET issues using IE11 it is most likely an IE add-on that is causing the problem. Try running IE with add-ons disabled. If it runs OK re-enable them one at a time until the culprit is identified. Then, you need to update the add-on or contact the add-on creator for help.

Joe
    Joe,

Which add ons were you thinking of? Right now I've got AVAST, MS Office Document Cache Handler, Bing, Google, Amazon Search Suggestions, E-mail with Windows Live, map with Bing, translate with Bing, and English (United States) spelling correction.

Will I have problems with malware if I disable AVAST?

Thanks for help with disabling and then reenabling add ons.

Charles

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
    A. Schopenhauer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    To begin with you should run IE with all add-ons disabled. Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools and click on "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Note: you are only disabling the Avast add-on to IE not all of Avast. You should be fine for this test. If you download any programs do not run anything directly from the download. Save it. Then go the folder where the file is saved and run from there.

Just do your normal internet activity. If IE runs OK then it is an add-on causing the EMET problem. Go to Settings (the little gear) | Manage Add-ons. Then select any ONE add-on and enable it. Repeat the test of normal internet activity. Just keep enabling add-ons one at a time until the EMET issue occurs. The last add-on enabled is most likely the culprit. You should then check with the add-on vendor to see if there is a newer version.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2014-10-10)

Thanks
    Joe,

Thanks for your response.

Charles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast