5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find free software and tips at Microsoft.com

BEST UTILITIES

Find free software and tips at Microsoft.com

By Michael Lasky

Some of the best utilities for maintaining PCs and enhancing productivity are found in the nooks and crannies of Microsoft's expansive websites. But there's also a long list of valuable instructional videos, tips, and other information for all PC users. Here's a sampling.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-utilities/find-free-software-and-tips-at-microsoft-com/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re.: How do you get into Windows 8.1′s safe mode?

Well dear Mr. Lasky,

In over 11 years of fixing virus infections on mainly home computers in 99.9% of the cases where I needed Safe Mode the OS was not working in regular mode any more. Then your great trick is worthless.

If Win 8 still comes up and allows me to log in to an admin user account I can fix close to everything.

But when I can not log in any more what do you recommend then?
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-10-09)

Thanks
    If you kill a windows 8 boot three times, the third startup will get you to a diagnostic screen which will allow you to startup in Safe Mode after going through a few screens.

Jerry

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2014-10-10),wavy (2014-10-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jwitalka,
    Thank you.
    And typically M$ Win8 cumbersome.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    I had a look at Sysinternal's multi-desktop option a few weeks ago--works fine as a bare bones. I need some more flesh however, and of the few others I looked at, Dexpot is a clear winner for me. Lots of config options, up to 20 desktops, and two nice choices for switching between them--clumsiness of switching between desktops is what made me drop the otherwise excellent Fences software from Stardock.

Thanks
    If you kill a windows 8 boot three times

Kill ? I guess if it hangs on boot and you do a reset 3 times it will bring up the diag screen. Is W10 the same??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I hold the power button down just as boot starts to kill it. If you have a spare reset button on your PC, that should work as well.

I'm using a dual boot to a spare hard drive for Windows 10. The dual boot menu has a direct link to the Diag screen, so I can't test out the kill three times option. I would be surprised if it didn't though.

By the way, you can get to the diag screen with a Windows recovery disk/USB drive or an original install disk. Unfortunately, in this case the recovery screen doesn't include a Safe Mode option. I have no idea why.

Jerry

Thanks
    The dual boot menu has a direct link to the Diag screen
    Thanks
    I didn't notice that. I willcheck it out I also have a dual boot w/ spare drive.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.