5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Customize File History's backups with ease

Customize File History's backups with ease

By Fred Langa

You can include almost any folder you wish even hidden/system folders in Win8's automatic File History backups. Plus: How to keep Windows from dropping its network connections, and diagnosing/bypassing DEP-related browser problems and more.

The full text of this column is posted at (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Laurium, Michigan, USA
    Hi Fred-
    I mostly agree with your statements about wasting time troubleshooting browsers. I too run dual browsers. But keep in mind, that some sites still use controls requiring a specific browser - and more often than not, this is IE. In the case of IE 11 issues, there is one simple thing I will often do - open Developer Mode (either via <F12> or the Tools menu). I will shift the browser and the document mode to emulate an earlier version of IE .... if I am in a rush, I drop to version 8 (XP), and if I am in less of a rush, I will try versions 10 and 9.

It never ceases to amaze me how often IE problems disappear. It typically means the site owner has not updated the site's code and the site assumes when it sees a Microsoft browser, that obsolete structures are still fully supported. For safety's sake, I will emulate an older version of IE only if I am confident the site is legit.
    Jim Johnson
    Michigan&#39;s Lake Superior region
    How much snow do we have now?
    Visit Agate Reef