5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft's EMET 5 has some teething pains

FOLLOW-UP

Microsoft's EMET 5 has some teething pains

By Susan Bradley

Following a recent story on EMET 5, some Windows Secrets readers ran into trouble trying Microsoft's anti-zero-day security application.

Their reported problems with EMET might be due to software incompatibilities. Here's an update.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/follow-up/...eething-pains/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,
    A few months ago you mentioned "Trusteer Rapport" as a worthwhile addition to Internet financial transactions. I've been using it for many months because my bank recommended it and find that it "plays well" with all the software on my 64-bit Windows 7 PC. It just surprises me that you didn't mention it again in this article.
    Stu

Thanks
    In the article Susan states that adding exceptions to EMET, it is no longer serving its purpose. I disagree. I only had to disable two exceptions to get IE 11 to work and fell I still get a lot of extra protection from EMET. I have all the latest add ons that I use in IE 11 but it still crashes when EAF and Stack Pivot are enabled. I suspect the Java add on is the issue here but I use it and don't have the time to debug add ons.

I also had to add one exception to the Office 2007 apps.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sb06794 View Post
    Susan,
    A few months ago you mentioned "Trusteer Rapport" as a worthwhile addition to Internet financial transactions. I've been using it for many months because my bank recommended it and find that it "plays well" with all the software on my 64-bit Windows 7 PC. It just surprises me that you didn't mention it again in this article.
    Stu

I installed EMET but it wouldn't allow me to open any websites and the exception shown always had the word "Rapport" included. I have had Trusteer Rapport installed for a long time so I'm guessing that this is not compatible with EMET. I uninstalled EMET!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It certainly does have teething problems, in fact it's not yet ready for release in my experience.

I created a restore point in Windows 7 32 then installed EMET 5. Experienced all manner of issues with IE 9 browsing and related with that Webroot SA which protects the browser sessions.

Ended up uninstalling EMET 5 and went to restore my PC to an earlier time, guess what, that and several other restore points had somehow disappeared. The ones remaining were of no use.

Remaining in this state the IE 9 perfomance was dreadful and many issues remained on certain sites....even with WRSA temporarily disabled just to double.check it was not a Webroot problem.

I concluded by spending my whole weekend doing a fresh install of the whole laptop just to start all over again, also gave me a chance to permanently remove some applications that I had not used in a long time.

For banking security I will not be installing EMET, instead I'll either do it on a linux live USB or else install Bitdefender Safepay as a standalone from the rest of the suit; quite happy to use MSE for a while without installing complex and deep-reaching security softwares that can royally mess things up. Even imaging and reverting is not a good enough option for me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sb06794 View Post
    Susan,
    Stu
    Because this article was only about EMET is why. I do have trusteer as well as EMET on my pc and they behave well with each other.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Also breaks Quicken Premier 2012

Hi,
    In my case, in addition to not allowing files to be attached to Outlook email, EMET 5 gave me the same problem with Quicken Premier 2012. I could attach a 'monthly statement' to an account in Quicken if I scanned it in, but I could not do so if I tried to attach it from an existing file. It caused Quicken to become unresponsive even though 'Process Lasso' showed that Quicken was using 96% of CPU capacity. Had to back out using Task Manager (which was a very slow process since CPU was running at 100%). Uninstalled EMET 5 and installed EMET 4.1 Update 1.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by GSteve; 2014-10-10 at 15:13.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Couldn't open Excel 2010 spreadsheet with EMET 5 after the last newsletter issue and can't open it with 4.1.1 now either. Do have Comodo CIS, if that's the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    Because this article was only about EMET is why. I do have trusteer as well as EMET on my pc and they behave well with each other.
    My EMET 5.0 and IBM Rapport would not run together on my 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro and Vipre Internet Security 2014. I had to delete Rapport.