Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7, 8, 8.1 lose Internet connection

From the latest newsletter 'Why does windows drop its network connection' and the proposed solution of disabling the Power Saving setting. I have experienced this issue with a Windows 7 64- bit and 8.1 64-bit and can categorically state that this setting makes no difference for most people. In trying to resolve these issues I have installed an additional network card from a different manufacturer and also set-up a wireless adapter, giving me 3 methods of network connection. All 3 suffer from the same issue: loss of Internet connectivity but LAN connection is maintained.

I'm no closer to a solution and have spent hours trying to get yo the bottom of it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The obvious question would be, I guess: have you looked at the router and / or ISP related issues?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could check to see if there's a firmware update for the router, but wireless issues usually relate to local interference, either from within your home (REIN) or from other users using the same or adjacent channels to you with a similar or stronger RSSI than you.

Favourite for within the home is having a cordless phone base too close to the router, but there could be other causes of which these are some examples and sometimes it can even be a wireless mouse. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

inSSIDer3 is a useful program for checking on other users should a channel conflict be the cause.

RouterStatsLite can be another useful program to reference when you experience these wireless disconnects as it monitors the SNRM.

Lag is usually the first symptom you're likely to experience prior to a disconnect when the SNRM drops to a borderline level.

If the router has the option to change the Channel Width from 20/40MHz to just 20MHz then you could also try that if none of the above resolves.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-09 at 06:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, to add:

- It's not the router or ISP as all other devices maintain their internet connection (some wired, some wireless) whilst the desktop in question loses it.

- The issue isn't confined to wireless. As mentioned I have an Ethernet port on the motherboard and an additional PCI card; when using Cat5 cable both suffer the same issue.

- I live in the countryside with just 2 other houses within half a mile; it's not interference from routers on the same channel or from a cordless phone.

The more I dig, the more I think it's either some sort of software conflict (I run ESET Smart Security & Malwarebytes) or an issue with the BIOS which is around 4 years old now on a 6 year old motherboard.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From your opening post I assumed you were having problems on both a Win 7 and a Win 8.1 machine and as you originally said Ethernet maintains its connection, that would point to the router or interference.

Is there any pattern to the disconnects on the desktop - i.e. times of the day or when you switch other machines on ?

Do all of the machines have the same security installed on them ?

There's a couple of commands you can try on the desktop from the command prompt in admin mode and they are -

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    exit (to close the command window)

Now reboot.

Drivers are something else to consider even for new NICs if the drivers came from an install disk that came with them, but it's unusual for both the LAN and Wireless drivers to go bad at the same time - if LAN is dropping out as well.

Total loss can be the result of an infection but not intermittent loss - or at least I've never come across an infection that is selective in that way.

To eliminate any 3rd party security programs from being the cause, boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and run it in that mode for a while, although you will lose some services as only necessary drivers are loaded.

I suppose you could go to the motherboard support site and download the Chipset drivers and check for a BIOS update.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-09 at 16:20.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    How do you solve the issue? Rebooting? Is there anything other than a reboot that fixes it?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    How do you solve the issue? Rebooting? Is there anything other than a reboot that fixes it?
    You need to reboot as prompted for those netsh commands to effect - give them a try, they are quite safe to run even on a working computer.

Thanks
    First thing I do when I have an Internet connection problem is login to my cable box(192.168.100.1 for me and many) to see if any thing is evident. It of course pays to know what to look for when everything is working. If nothing else you at least know that the computer to modem is working w/ that working the great percentage of the time in my experience the trouble is on the 'other side' of the modem's web based interface i.e. the modem losing sync with home base or trying a renegotiation and failing. Given the problem you describe one would expect to not reach the modem.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I stated that LAN is maintained I am referring to, for example, still being able to access folders on my NAS, however, there is no Internet connectivity.

I have tried all those commands listed with no joy. To rectify the issue I disable and then re-enable the network adapter.

I have a suspicion (and it's no more than that) that it's it's a software conflict, perhaps between ESET Smart Security & Malwarebytes but uninstalling the latter doesn't make a difference.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As I'd suggested in Post #5, to eliminate any 3rd party security programs, booting up into Safe Mode with Networking will isolate those and if you then get a stable connection - a clean boot is recommended.

If the loss of connectivity remains in a clean boot, that will point to an active AV program as they will reinstate themselves even when they have been unchecked.

Depending upon how you uninstalled MBAM, sufficient components of it can remain to cause a conflict if that is the cause, but the symptoms aren't usually intermittent when you have a software conflict.

Have you downloaded the Chipset drivers or checked for a BIOS update yet and is the clock maintaining its accuracy ?

Can you open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all - right click in the text area - click on Select all and press enter and do this for when the desktop has and hasn't a connection.

You can either paste those into Notepad and copy across to a working machine, or if the desktop is working, paste directly into the reply box showing which is which.

If the desktop is losing its DHCP IP address then you can try assigning either the LAN or wireless adapter in the computer with a static IP address.

This can either be within or outside of the DHCP range.

Is Event Viewer recording these events ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-11 at 09:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'm away from home until the end of the month so unable to pursue at this point but will on my return. I have previously and briefly tried booting into Safe Mode but sitting in front of a useless machine watching to see if the Internet connection drops isn't something I can do for too long.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, you sometimes have to have patience when you're trouble shooting

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had the same problem, since Vista.
    At least with Vista, I could just "rename the network gateway ", but I don't even get this option with Win 8.
    Now, I keep the "Network Connections" folder open, and when the link cuts out, I disable the network, and enable it 2 seconds later;
    This will work until it cuts out next time.
    Power options have no effect on this problem, it is something in Windows, whether I use Wireless or Cable connections.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was experiencing similar problems on a new Lenovo Ideapad U530 running Windows 8.1 with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 adapter. The newsletter solution did not help me if I was on battery power. My solution changes a different power setting:

Open up Power Options (Control Panel / System and Security)
    Select: Change plan settings (I changed the "Balanced Plan" since that's what I was using.)
    Select: Change advanced power settings / Wireless Adapter Settings / Power Saving Mode
    I changed the 'On battery' setting to "Maximum Performance". (The 'Plugged-in' setting was already on "Maximum Performance".)
    Reboot.

My specific problem was with connecting to a hotspot on my iPad. Connecting to my home Netgear router has fewer issues. Lenovo support was clueless, blaming my iPad.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow Sudo15's advice first, it's easy and doesn't hurt to do anyway.

Open device manager and then view/show hidden devices. Look for conflicts and/or duplicates especially in display adapters and network adapters. Right click on each then properties then resources. Look for conflicts.

Check that your video card/built-in card has the latest drivers. Rerun the installer and check the box for clean install if available. Otherwise use the vid cards site to download their uninstaller. The idea is to do a clean install of your video drivers.

I have seen issues where the video and network adapters had a conflict EVEN THOUGH none showed. The latest drivers fixed it. Never figured the why on that one, but that was the fix.

HTH
    Last edited by Syclone; 2014-10-16 at 10:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast