3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

no auto update for Win Defender

Every morning, when I turn on my computer, I manually apply updates to Windows Defender. It's not a huge burden, but it would be nice if it updated automatically, like it is supposed to. But it doesn't. If I leave it alone for a couple of days, it doesn't download any updates. I have to do it manually. There is even a Defender update item in Task Scheduler, but it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get the auto update to work?

Fafner

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you changed the default settings for any Windows services?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is part of Windows Update, do you have that scheduled to run automatically?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2014-10-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. No, I don't have Windows Update set to run automatically, and I never have. I gather from your replies that in order to get Defender to download definition updates automatically, it has to be done through Windows Update. So, in the Defender update window, where it says, "These definitions are updated automatically," it isn't telling the full story. I also assume that the registry change Joe points me to enables all minor updates to be installed automatically, not just Defender updates. I think I'll just continue doing the daily manual updates as I have been doing. It seems odd, though, that Microsoft would have made this change from the automatic downloads in Security Essentials.

Fafner

Thanks
    I have Task Scheduler take care of it. Windows Defender Automatic Update, Scheduled Scans.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, as I indicated in my first post, I have tried to have Task Scheduler do this, but it still doesn't happen. I followed all the steps in the link you posted, but no luck. Update still doesn't run automatically.

Fafner

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Run Balarc Advisor to see if it snags any outstanding Windows Updates, even if you know you have them installed. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html