4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Envelope Address Frame (XP)

I am trying to chance the Envelope Address style for all new envelopes. Basically what I want to do is make the frame smaller and move it to the right.

If I manually position the frame, it will hold for only that envelope, not new envelopes. If I go in the the Envelope Address style, I can modify the indent from 2 to 3 inches, but even though I choose "automatically update" and "add to template" , new envelopes revert to the original settings. I also tried options under Tools/Envelopes and Labels and adjusted the margin. Again, it only worked for the current envelope.

Why is it so hard to change the style? Any ideas?

TIA
    egghead

Thanks

Re: Envelope Address Frame (XP)

It seems you can change the frame position as part of the style, at least in 2000. By default, it is centered. You could make the left edge of the frame a certain number of inches relative to the page or margin. How this works in relation to the paragraph format is not clear to me, but you might set the indent to 0" and just work with the frame position. Hope it sticks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

With the options available in the frame position, changing the width to 5" and position to Right, Relative to Margin seemed to look OK.

However, I still can't get it to stick! I've checked the add to template option, but whenever I go back in to modify it, it is unchecked.

I'm adding envelopes using the evelopes button on the Standard toolbar, and typing the address in the dialog box. Would that have anything to do with it?
    egghead

Thanks

Actually, I've never used the option to change the template. It might be necessary to open Normal.dot, change the style, and save there. If THAT doesn't work, there's definitely something wrong in Word-land.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After making the changes to the normal.dot template, the modified style will work if I apply the style by choosing it directly from the style button, but if I use the envelope button and type the address in the dialog box, it used the old style settings. It displays the same style name on the toolbar, so I don't know what gives!
    egghead

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Egghead:
    I haven't used Word 2002, but it may be similar in this respect to previous versions. When you use Tools/Envelopes & Labels, you are using a wizard. The wizard changes the style for Envelope Address.

What is happening is that you are changing the style, BUT when you run the wizard, it changes the style back to the way it was when the wizard was last run.

Therefore, run the wizard in the normal template, making the changes that you want through the Envelope & Labels dialog box. Then, select & delete everything in the open normal template. Save normal.dot. From now on, the wizard should remember the way it last was on all new documents based on the template.

Note: if you don't want to change normal.dot, you can create a new template, run the wizard, making the changes, & then base documents on that template.

Post back because I'm curious as to whether this works in XP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it does work! Thanks.

The only other thing I wish I could change is the 2" indent inside the frame.
    egghead