New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 update disabled USB 3 for wireless mouse and USB 2 for wired keyboard

Something disabled the USB 3 that I had my Logitech M510 mouse plugged into, and the USB 2 that I had my Microsoft Nat. Ergonomic 4000 keyboard plugged into. When manufacturer told me to plug both into USB 2 ports on the back top of the computer, both worked. I suspect a Windows Update, but I do not know. Anyone else have a theory? I want to go back to using the USB 3 port in the front of the computer as the mouse was more responsive there, but I tried it again and it will not work. Device Manager says all my USBs are okay, so that was no help.
    I had to get a new motherboard to fix my last weird problem, and now this. Computer seems to work fine except for the USB ports.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried a different device in the "bad" ports?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a good wired Microsoft mouse in the 2 usb 3.0 ports in front of computer and they do not work. In one usb 2.0 port in the back, it worked and in another it did not. Any further ideas? I read something about drivers possibly causing such problems?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you suspect WUs then either uninstall any recent ones or try your restore points.

You could also try going to the motherboard support site and downloading the chipset/graphics drivers and try toggling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since it is still under warranty, I'll get some help from the manufacturer's tech staff. Thanks for the suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Good luck and let us know what they come up with as it could help other members.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cybertron PC told me to unplug the power from the computer and hold in the start button for 10 seconds. Then, replug the power to the PC and all my USB 3's and USB 2's came back to life. Another computer miracle!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A cold boot which is what you have effected by doing that can resolve some immediate problems, but given the time frame of this thread the same would have occurred naturally when the computer was switched off for a little while and it's natural to think that course of events would have occurred, althogh it seems more and more users leave their desktops on 24/7 - but glad you were able to sort it and thanks for the update.