Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Format problem

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Format problem

I am trying to format my Win 8.1 disk, but I am told that the format cannot be completed.

How can I format the disk?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Roy,

Could you provide a little more info:

1. How are you trying to format it?
    As a step in the installation?
    Using a utility boot disk?
    From within Windows (Note: You can't format the device you booted from)

2. What utility are you using to format the disk?
    Windows Format?
    A third party format program?

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RetiredGeek, the following is a copy of the thread I started in the beta software forum:

"I downloaded the iso file and burned it to a DVD using ImgBurn. The installation process seemed to progress without a hitch, but just when I thought all the stages had completed I got a message saying "Your PC ran into a problem....". The message disappeared too quickly for me to see the rest, something I hate. I tried again and the same thing happened. The third time I redownloaded the iso file and burned it to a DVD again, this time remembering to turn off my antivirus program, but the same thing happened again.

Can anyone explain how I can install the OS successfully?

Apart from the above, I have a folder named $SysReset on the C drives of my Win 7 and Win 8.1 SSD's. The Win 7 folder was created, I believe, when I recently reinstalled the OS, and the Win 8.1 folder as a result of the failed attempts to install the Win 10 Technical Preview. Can I safely delete these folders?

After each failure the previous Win 8.1 installation was restored, but I chose to then restore a Macrium Reflect image backup made immediately before the failed Win 10 installation."

Clutching at straws, I tried to format the Win 8.1 partition from within Win 7 by right clicking the disk and selecting format, but was told the format could not be completed. (I know the Win 10 installation should format the partition anyway, but as the installation failed I thought I'd try the format from within Win 7, clutching at straws, as I said).

I then booted into an admin command prompt, and ran the following commands:

compmgmt.msc, after which I opened Disk Management to get the number of the disk I wanted to clean, followed by the commands diskpart and then list disk, and I then ran the select disk command with the correct disk number, then the command clean, after which I intended to create a new partition from the unallocated space to install the Technical Preview on, but I was told that I could not clean the boot disk, although my default boot disk is my Win 7 disk.

Any advice you can give me to achieve a successful installation of the Technical Preview would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2014-10-10 at 12:36.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy,

First, It's very good that you have an Image Backup! Keep it SAFE.

What I would do is:

1. Download EaseUs Partition Master
    2. Install it on one of your partitions.
    3. Start the program and under the Tool menu select Create WinPE bootable disk.
    4. Boot you machine from the media you have created. I'd suggest the USB option if your machine will boot from USB.
    5. Use the program to first DELETE then ReCREATE & Format the partition you want to install the Preview into.
    6. Now reboot to the Win 10 Preview Installation CD and install.

Note: Since you have the Macrium Image you could also wipe the whole drive (as it could be one of the UnLettered partitions causing the problem) and try to install from scratch if necessary since you can always return to your Image.

BTW: I installed the Preview into a VHD on a dual boot machine just to be safe.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,

Thanks a lot.I already have EaseUS Partition Master, and will get back to you tomorrow as it's a bit late here now.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,

I did not use EaseUS Partition Master. The version I have does not create WinPE bootable disks, and to do so with EaseUS I would need to buy the professional version of the program. Instead I used MiniTool Partition Wizard and deleted and recreated the partition I wanted to install the Tech Preview on. I then rebooted to the Win 10 DVD and tried to install it, but I was told "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" after I selected the recreated partition. (The partition was in fact the whole drive). I don't understand this at all. Do you?

I then restored Win 8.1 to the newly created partition from a Macrium Reflect up to date image and rebooted, but was then told "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt-<Windows root> system 32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of that file!! (How was I supposed to do that). I booted to my Win 7 installation DVD and tried Startup Repair and then did the same thing with my Win 7 repair disk, but neither one solved the problem. I solved it finally by booting from my Macrium Reflect rescue CD and choosing repair MBR. I then found I had problems with Win 7, which worked without a hitch before I tried to install the Win 10 Tech Preview, although how that affected Win 7 I don't know, because I didn't try to install it on the Win 7 disk. (I managed to solve the Win 7 problems by restoring a Macrium Reflect image).

I still have the folder named $SysReset on my Win 8.1 drive, but not on Win 7, and if you can confirm whether I can safely delete it, and also suggest anything else I can try to install the Win 10 Tech Preview I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy,

Any reason you can't install to a VHD? I found that process very easy using the instructions I found on Life Hacker select option 2.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, the instructions you link to are for a VM, not necessarily a VHD!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Screenshot - 12-Oct-14 , 12_22_10 PM.pngScreenshot - 12-Oct-14 , 12_23_13 PM.png

RetiredGeek, thanks but when I click Start in VirtualBox I get the messages shown on the attached screenshots, and don't know what to do about either of them. (I do have a 64 bit processor).

Should I be using a VHD, and if so please advise me how to do so.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Browni,

Thanks for the clarification.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Roy,

The first message is just information and you can cancel it as Win 10 will support the mouse. As to the second message I can't read it all and for some reason our screenshot will not blow up when clicked on. I can make out something about something not being signed, I can only assume it is a driver for a base hardware component and Win 10 will not load w/o the signed driver. Other than that guess I haven't a clue, Sorry.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Looks like VBox is not emulating a 64 bit processor.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried again and proceeded as follows:

I booted into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, ran the command compmgmt.msc and pressed Enter, clicked Disk Management and noted the disk number of the disk I wanted to format.

I then ran the command diskpart and pressed Enter, then ran the command list disk and pressed Enter. I then ran the command select disk (entering the number of the disk I wanted to format) and pressed Enter. (The selected disk was shown as Offline, so I ran the command online disk and pressed Enter). I then ran the command clean and pressed enter.

When the clean (i.e. format) operation completed I exited command prompt.

I then restarted Windows and created a new partition on the formatted disk (I used EaseUS Partition Master to do this) and then used Disk Management to create a VHD on the new partition and used my Win 10 Tech Preview DVD to install the preview on the new partition, and installation succeeded.

I am impressed with Win 10, and have been able to install all but a couple of the programs I wanted. The couple that didn't install had compatibility issues.

I was even able to get the Win 7 version of Solitaire working on Win 10. (I believe some lounge members could not install Solitaire on Win 8.1 because the Microsoft Games Patcher can no longer be downloaded, and if anyone wants that I can post it for them).

One thing puzzles me, namely the very small space used on the Win 10 partition, namely 17GB, even though I have installed quite a number of programs. Does that have anything to do with the fact that Win 10 is on a VHD?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2014-10-20 at 05:21.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy,

Depends on how you created the VHD.

If you created a dynamic VHD it will gradually grow until it reaches it's maximum size.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni, I did create a dynamic VHD, but your reply doesn't explain the vey small space used on the VHD, or am I missing the point?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast