4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sent Email Disappeared into Black Hole

Yesterday morning between about 8:50 and 9:58 am emails I have a user who says her sent emails disappeared as if into a black hole. She realized there was a problem when she looked at an email she knew she'd responded back to and that email shows she did but she can't find the reply email. Missing from ALL folders including but not limited to draft, sent, deleted, outbox, and recover folders. The person she replied to is internal (single location Exchange 2010) and that person didn't receive the email too. It's as if the user clicked Send and the email vanished into thin air without a trace. On the Exchange tracking it shows she received emails between 8:50 and 9:58 but no emails were sent by the user. We've found at least three emails that show she replied during that time which are missing. There could be more she may not be recalling yet. I've printed out the tracking details to see if it might help her recall any others. No one else has reported an issue.

I'm seriously stumped. How the heck could this happen?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Could any Outlook or Exchange rules be in play?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    She doesn't use rules via her Outlook. Transport rules on Exchange don't apply to internal mail.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Transport rules can apply to internal mail. See Understanding How Transport Rules Are Applied.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Transport rules can apply to internal mail.
    Yes, there are only a few transport rules and none of them are for handling internal email nor apply to this user. The ones I have are for handling inbound external email.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Happened again for her on Monday morning.

Her procedure when she receives email is to leave them in her inbox until she's answered them back. When she replies, she deletes the email from the inbox but never deletes from her sent folder. When this issues have come up, she goes to her deleted items,which she never purges, to find the email she deleted from the inbox. The original email shows the reply date and time. That response is nowhere to be found and the recipient never receives it.

This user does use Outlook with exchange cache mode enabled. Could this be tied to her .ost file on her hard drive?
    Daisy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think I would try on her Sent folder: View, Current View, Customize Current View, Reset Current View; to make sure they're not hidden by some filter.

May not be the answer, but it's something to eliminate (and I've seen lots of apparently strange issues caused by inadvertent set-and-forget filters).

This wouldn't explain why they didn't arrive either, but that could be some different mistake.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-10-22 at 20:43.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I might have it resolved.

I came across this article about disappearing email.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tored-anywhere

For those users, email would stop and stack up in the Outbox like Outlook going offline for some reason. Then OUtlook freezes and restarts. On restart, the email in the Outbox are gone, not sent, and nowhere to be found.

My user fits the description in this article. Event IDs 1001 and 50. Archive.pst located on the network.

My user, as with nearly all of our users, has her Outlook set to Cache mode. I turned off cache mode, renamed the .ost file on her hard drive, and changed the default location of her archive.pst file to her hard drive. In her Outlook, I moved her Outbox to Favorites and took out all other favorites so it stands out up there on top. The idea is for her to watch if the Outbox goes "black" (email backing up) and contact me right away. Waiting now to see if it happens again.
    Daisy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ailios For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-10-28)