5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't blame it on the math co-processor this time.

I bet some of you old timers remember the Intel Math Co-Processor debacle several years past. Well, guess what? Intel's done it again.

http://randomascii.wordpress.com/201...3-quintillion/

Glad I continued to choose AMD.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I remember. And the desktop computers I've built for myself have been AMD [first computer in '92 had an AMD 386-40MHz CPU], currently have one with Win7 and one with Win8.1. I also have one Dell with Intel running Win7 and one Dell with Intel running Linux Mint 17.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    AMD has not been competitive in the CPU arena in the last 7 years or so, regardless of any issues with the sin calculation (which haven't caused the upheaval that the co-processor issue did and that obviosuly means this is of little importance)

I am always happy I don't use AMD (even in graphics, I prefer nVidia).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    AMD has not been competitive in the CPU arena in the last 7 years or so, regardless of any issues with the sin calculation (which haven't caused the upheaval that the co-processor issue did and that obviosuly means this is of little importance)

I am always happy I don't use AMD (even in graphics, I prefer nVidia).
    My work involves customers' systems running both Intel and AMD CPUs and corresponding motherboard chipsets.

Overall I don't believe there is any real argument as to which of the two is better - it's pretty much a GM Vs Ford argument.

But when it comes to graphics the situation is somewhat different. In my experience the ATI-AMD GPUs prior to about 2010 were fairly "how-yer-going" but ATI-AMD cleaned up their act since then and their products are now pretty-much state-of-the-art. During the past 3-4years have seen far more problems with NVidia GPUs than with ATI-AMD GPUs.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.