New Lounger
    Thanks

No video after restore

Win 7 Pro, after restore, Safe Mode works great, but blank (black) screen when normal start. Activity light seems to work normally, I know the system is working, but I don't see a thing and have no idea what going on behind the blank screen. Why would Safe Mode work beautifully and not in normal mode? Any idea? Computer is good, Dual-Boot, other side is Win 8.1 which is running fast and secure. Don't want to do clean install, might mess up dual-boot and Win 8.1 partition.
    Last edited by john19306; 2014-10-11 at 08:53.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What sort of restore was it ?

In Safe Mode your Graphics drivers aren't loaded and the on board VGA is enabled which gives you the lower resolution.

While in Safe Mode check Event Viewer for any info on this - you may have to go to the computer or motherboard support site for the Win 7 graphics drivers.

You could also try Last Known Good Configuration or Startup Repair in the Recovery Environment.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-11 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Computer is good, Dual-Boot, other side is Win 8.1 which is running fast and secure.
    I've never done a system restore or refresh in a dual boot setup. I was afraid of things going haywire, mainly with the MBR location. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with your current situation. Just a guess.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    I've never done a system restore or refresh in a dual boot setup. I was afraid of things going haywire, mainly with the MBR location. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with your current situation. Just a guess.
    System Restore does not affect MBR.

Jerry

Thanks
    Boot into safe mode and try a clean boot:
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623152.pdf

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15:

It was a System Restore. Went back about one month. Tried to Uninstall NVidea driver files in Safe mode (which seemingly was successful), then Device Manager > Remove Display Adapter to force on-board VGA to kick in. Didn't work, NVidea rebuilt it's driver files.

Now I am thinking of switching the GeForce video board to an ATI board, after removing the NVidea driver as best as I can. And try that. But I would run into trouble with my good WIN 8.1 partition when it finds the ATI board in place (I'll probably forget I have an ATI board now and start the Win 8.1 side with the NVidea files still in place). So I need to clean out the WIN 8.1 partition from any NVidea files. And I don't really want to do that.

It's a homebrew machine. It's just something I have never run into and can't seem to find an answer, but one. Upgrade to an Win 8.1 system, but I will lose some game passwords and they are old games. Besides, that's no fun.

Sudo, eh? Use Ubuntu? Love that linux!
    Last edited by john19306; 2014-10-12 at 05:28.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You'd probably have to physically remove the NVidia card for the VGA to kick in in normal mode as Windows auto detects any hardware changes.

What was the primary OS on your machine and wouldn't you need separate NVidia drivers for each OS ? http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

You can tell I only have an OEM laptop and have never been into dual booting

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One Motherboard, one graphics board, each OS has it's own video driver software. Trouble is, if I remove the video board, mother board does not have a video chip to drive the monitor. If it had it would be a simple matter just to use the internal video to get my Win 7 partition going. And there is no "Primary Software" on a dual boot system, each one becomes it's own little world when booted up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I meant was which was the original OS.

As the Win 8.1 side of things is running fine, then I would suggest booting up into Safe Mode with Networking and downloading the Win 7 graphics drivers as they have appeared to have gone south, unless you can undo the restore - why did you need to restore and did you run the Startup Repair ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I put my thinking cap on, started Win 7 in Safe Mode with Command window, typed in "sfc /scannow', left it alone. It found corrupt files and repaired them, I rebooted and did a Happy Dance, it booted up fine.

Thanks for all of your help. ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to john19306 For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-10-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john19306 View Post
    Well, I put my thinking cap on, started Win 7 in Safe Mode with Command window, typed in "sfc /scannow', left it alone. It found corrupt files and repaired them, I rebooted and did a Happy Dance, it booted up fine.

Thanks for all of your help. ...
    That's the command I usually try when Startup Repair says it's unable to auto repair, but I always try the Startup Repair first - but glad it worked for you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the kudos .... have a nice day!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john19306 View Post
    Thank you for the kudos .... have a nice day!
    That's the Kudos and you too.