Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to Turn Off Backup HDD?

I have given up on trying to backup one rig to another, at least for now.
    So after I run a file backup (using Windows backup) to a second hdd in my my rig, is there a way to shut the backup drive off until the next weekly (or whatever) backup?
    It seems like a needless waste of resources to have it spinning away doing absolutely nothing in between.

Thanks
    rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Short of moving the disk to a USB caddy, no. Windows will not thank you for powering off a live hard disk and the motherboard may also be unhappy about it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This is why I don't use windows native backup utility....with 3rd party software like Acronis, Macrium and Aomei you're given the option to do so.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    is there a way to shut the backup drive off until the next weekly (or whatever) backup
    Actually there is but it requires additional hardware in the computer, namely an HDD cassette that one can turn off and remove front of the computer. Just a couple of examples:
    http://www.addonics.com/category/mobile_rack.php
    http://www.directron.com/mracksatafull.html

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Short of moving the disk to a USB caddy, no. Windows will not thank you for powering off a live hard disk and the motherboard may also be unhappy about it.

cheers, Paul
    OK I was afraid that might be the case.
    Also I notice that the backup is not in any recognizable format.
    It shows as several hundred sequentially numbered "backup file" folders.
    So I guess there is no way to see what is actually backed up; you just have to assume Windows found all the important stuff, and hope it works the day you need it!

I am thinking I might just physically unplug the power cable to the backup drive and see what happens?
    If it finds itself when I power it back up, then I think I could simply wire in a DPDT switch into the harness so as to interrupt the +12V and +5V power when I want to power the drive down.
    I think this is kind of what the front drive caddy does in a more automated way.

rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you turn the power off whilst Windows is accessing the drive.....

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If you turn the power off whilst Windows is accessing the drive.....

cheers, Paul
    I hear you Paul!

rstew

Thanks
    Leave it alone
    If that second drive is an internal SATA drive you don't need to do anything.
    It will only consume power if it's accessed and therefore does not need to be turned off.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    I think this is kind of what the front drive caddy does in a more automated way...

All HDD caddies I have seen are intended to allow the HDD to be removed/inserted when the computer is powered off (e.g.: so the HDD can be placed in a safe or taken to another location).

It's a few years now since I've seen a caddy, so newer ones might allow "hot-swapping".

But these days, with USB HDDs, there doesn't seem to be much need for caddies.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It will only consume power if it's accessed and therefore does not need to be turned off...
    You can control the time-delay Windows uses before powering-off a HDD in "Control Panel/Power Options/". Click "Change plan settings" beside the plan you are using, then click "Change advanced power settings", then adjust the "Hard disk/Turn off hard disk after" setting.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    You can control the time-delay Windows uses before powering-off a HDD in "Control Panel/Power Options/". Click "Change plan settings" beside the plan you are using, then click "Change advanced power settings", then adjust the "Hard disk/Turn off hard disk after" setting.
    Cochin
    Thanks for this idea. I had forgotten about being able to power down drives.

Cheers,
    rstew

Thanks
    It's a few years now since I've seen a caddy, so newer ones might allow "hot-swapping".
    I can't speak directly for 'caddies' but my USB\eSATA3 dock allows this. Of course all USB drives can be 'ejected'.
    Hot swapping eSTAT depends on the OS, it will not happen in XP but works just fine in W7. I am not sure how dependent is is on third party s/w ie the Intel raid suite (Rapidstore?) I will look into this when I get home, I am trying to install as little extranious stuff as possible.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I found a good alternative.
    At the local computer parts store I found something called and "Icy Dock"; which is described as a "5.25" hot swap dirve caddy for 2.5" & 3.5" SATA hard drives or SSD."
    It looks like you install it in an empty 5.25" bay and wire it to SATA power and data cables.
    Then you can slip a standard 3.5" SATA drive into it whenever you like, then remove it and store it elsewhere or whatever.
    Anybody used one of these?

rstew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    I think I found a good alternative.
    At the local computer parts store I found something called and "Icy Dock"; which is described as a "5.25" hot swap dirve caddy for 2.5" & 3.5" SATA hard drives or SSD."
    It looks like you install it in an empty 5.25" bay and wire it to SATA power and data cables.
    Then you can slip a standard 3.5" SATA drive into it whenever you like, then remove it and store it elsewhere or whatever.
    Anybody used one of these?

rstew
    I haven't used a unit such as you have described, however a couple of years ago I built a desktop system for a customer which had a "dock" built into the case's top. According to the documentation the "dock" allowed "hot-swapping" of 3.5in & 2.5in SATA HDDs & SSDs.

After I fitted all the components to the case and installed Win7 I tried out the "dock" by inserting a 3.5in SATA HDD and sure enough it was detected, I could access the files on it, and I could "eject" it.

The case was a Thermaltake "Dokker" case.
    Dokker.jpg

Thanks
    I recently bought a eSata dock that I really like. They are very useful. A caddy can be useful too, did you buy extra caddies?
    I believe for the 'hot swap' part to work you may have to make a BIOS/UEFI adjustment. The SATA port may need to be set to external ( or some other setting depending on Bios maker) to tell the bios to look for it at times other than boot time
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast