Thread: Icon spacing

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Icon spacing

XP SP3

I am trying to get my desktop icons a little closer together.

I can make them larger or smaller (Desktop, Properties, Appearance, Advanced . . . then Icon), but changing the Icon spacing (Vertical or Horizontal) in the same list does nothing.

What am I missing ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe right-click the Desktop, click View and see what the various choices do?

Thanks
    Did you refresh your Desktop after applying the change of distance. You may even need to restart XP (or Disconnect/Login).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt replies.

Refresh changed the icon size but not the spacing - it needed a reboot to do that.

Cheers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For Win 7 there is 'Taskbar Tweaker' free add-on. You might find there is an older version that will do the same in XP.
    It seems to just reduce the icon spacing but only in the taskbar. I suspect the desktop spacing has more to do with your monitor dpi than anything else, but a little research might turn up something similar to Taskbar Tweaker for the desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click on Desktop: Properties, Appearance Tab, Advanced Button, Select Dropdown box, Select Icon Spacing (Horizontal or Vertical). (XP SP3).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From what I've experienced, you may have to change the spacing values by a large amount to see the difference. Instead of changing the spacing by just a few numbers, go ahead and change it by, like 15 or 20, and see if that makes a difference. Whatever you do, it can always be changed back again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IIRC, the spacing changes acted as rje49 describes, with no apparent effect with small increments, until some (unknown) threshold value was reached. Experimenting with many values from 1/10 to 9/10s of the icon height and width in pixels should find a pair of values that gives the result you seek. Adjust the vertical until you like it, then the horizontal, for example, because they are independent.