Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Current most popular version of Windows?

    So in looking at the numbers of people viewing the various Window forums on any given day, it appears that Win7 usually has 300 to 600 or more viewers.
    Vista has way less than 100, typically around 40-80.
    Even old XP usually has about twice as many viewers as Vista, typically 100+.
    Win 8 has way less viewers than Win7, only around half or so as many.
    There is usually even a few stragglers back viewing Win 95/98!

    So this low tech observation might lead one to conclude that Win7 is the most popular version at present, even though MS are trying their darnedest to stuff Win8.1 (and Win9 next) down our throats, whether we need it, or want it, or not. Win7 is currently in extended support phase now, so the writing is on the wall. You will be upgrading whether you want to or not.
    Or is the large number of Win7 viewers really because Win7 has more problems than any other recent version? Who knows?

    Anyone care to speculate?

    rstew

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 267 Times in 260 Posts
    Those numbers roughly follow the market share of each OS as a whole and then other factors are going to skew those numbers to some degree. For instance unfamiliarity with a new OS will garner more questions and a higher percentage of users who have issues with an older OS will tend to move on to a successor in hopes the problems will be solved...which leaves a higher percentage of users on the older OS who are not having issues.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger smithdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Clovis CA
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use windows 10 was using windows 8.1 after mar 2014 use xp for over 10 year my CPU is 2008 with parts back to 1996
    I like how 8.1 install no error just work great the first hour till going to 10

    Dave

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NY state
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Well MS may have got them self in another situation like they did with XP and business.
    Business has avoided Windows 8 like the plague. A new hospital opened here last month with 250 beds. They went with Windows 7 and that probably means several hundred PCs total. It will be interesting to see how Windows 10 works out.
    Joe

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    one article claims that xp still has 25% of all pc users
    and android has the most for tablets (all versions) beating apples stuff by a good margin

    some of us are still using 98se

    i would be using 95 if the machine had not died
    would be using a dos 5 box if i had realised that the 'dos' in 95 and later was not really dos



    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    So in looking at the numbers of people viewing the various Window forums on any given day, it appears that Win7 usually has 300 to 600 or more viewers.
    Vista has way less than 100, typically around 40-80.
    Even old XP usually has about twice as many viewers as Vista, typically 100+.
    Win 8 has way less viewers than Win7, only around half or so as many.
    There is usually even a few stragglers back viewing Win 95/98!

    So this low tech observation might lead one to conclude that Win7 is the most popular version at present, even though MS are trying their darnedest to stuff Win8.1 (and Win9 next) down our throats, whether we need it, or want it, or not. Win7 is currently in extended support phase now, so the writing is on the wall. You will be upgrading whether you want to or not.
    Or is the large number of Win7 viewers really because Win7 has more problems than any other recent version? Who knows?

    Anyone care to speculate?

    rstew

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    i suspect ms will have one opsys under the hood
    and provide on UI for tablet type touch screen users
    and a real UI for people that need productivity on a real pc
    although it may take them until 12 to get it back to something decent for real users doing real work


    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Well MS may have got them self in another situation like they did with XP and business.
    Business has avoided Windows 8 like the plague. A new hospital opened here last month with 250 beds. They went with Windows 7 and that probably means several hundred PCs total. It will be interesting to see how Windows 10 works out.
    Joe

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @speedball

    There are plenty of real users doing real work with Windows 8/8.1. I use it all day every day @ work & @ home. Many others do also. I have yet to find anything that I do which would be easier or faster in a prior version of Windows.

    Are there frustrations? SURE.
    Was there a learning curve? SURE.
    Would I go back to an earlier version of Windows? Not willingly.

    You have chosen not to get Windows 8/8.1 and that is your choice and is fine. What is your version of choice (i.e. the one you use the most)? Have you tried either 8 or 8.1 for any extended period of time? Do you have specifics about what is less productive and why it is less productive?

    Businesses have not deployed Windows 8 in large numbers because many either just finished deploying Windows 7 or are in the process of deploying Windows 7. Businesses do not upgrade their operating systems anywhere near as often as a consumer might. Many people have no real idea about what it takes to prepare for an upgrade like that.

    As for the next release of Windows, Microsoft has already stated that there will be one version of Windows with differing UIs for different devices.

    Joe

  8. #8
    Bronze Lounger DrWho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 205 Times in 163 Posts
    Just earlier this year, the VA finally upgraded from Windows XP-Pro to Windows 7.
    I doubt they will be upgrading again any time soon. That costs them Millions of $'s.

    Who me? Oh, heck, I'm still running XP-Pro-SP3 and loving it. Does everything I want it to do and much faster than any later OS.

    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

    Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

  9. #9
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Shreveport, LA, USA
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    a real dos...

    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    would be using a dos 5 box if i had realised that the 'dos' in 95 and later was not really dos
    If you need real dos, or even if you just really, really love dos, you can have it all and more in JP Software's Take Command/TCCLE(the free version). Take Command started as 4Dos, a command.com replacement which was far and away superior to msdos/pcdos and still is. I used 4Dos for years before there even was a windows 1.0 and when Rex Conn & partner(can't remember his name) ported it to windows I have had it installed on every version of windows since. It is truly awesome... I have even seen games written in 4Dos batch programming language... but if you are familiar with 4Dos/Take Command you already know that.

  10. #10
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hartford, WI, USA
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 62 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I use windows 10 ...
    ... till going to 10
    Dave, you like to live on the edge, right?

    MS told us in clear words NOT to use Win 10 for production systems - and that is what your daily-use (only?) computer is.

    You belong on 8.1 IMHO.

    BUT: When your rig runs 8.1 fine then Win 10 will surprise you because IMHO it is Win 8 done right!
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

  11. #11
    2 Star Lounger smithdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Clovis CA
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was still using XP this year would have use 2000 but no more update
    After upgrading to 8.1and then having change to try the new 10 is great.
    I will say 8.1 is the beat one I have found in all the MS OS . 10 works more like windows me, 2000 and xp
    As living on the edge I have done that all my life even walk beams

    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    Dave, you like to live on the edge, right?

    MS told us in clear words NOT to use Win 10 for production systems - and that is what your daily-use (only?) computer is.

    You belong on 8.1 IMHO.

    BUT: When your rig runs 8.1 fine then Win 10 will surprise you because IMHO it is Win 8 done right!

  12. #12
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    Dave, you like to live on the edge, right?

    MS told us in clear words NOT to use Win 10 for production systems - and that is what your daily-use (only?) computer is.

    You belong on 8.1 IMHO.

    BUT: When your rig runs 8.1 fine then Win 10 will surprise you because IMHO it is Win 8 done right!
    To me, since this preview version (like early Windows 8) lends itself to installation and operation on a .vhd, that is the best way to test it. No disruption of your main operating system and once the vhd is completed it can be copied to another machine and used there just fine after it automatically installs needed drivers for that machine. Once the vhd is built, a download of EasyBCD will let you modify the boot manager to boot to either your main OS or Windows 10 for "play time" without risk to your main operating system.

    Just my never humble opinion...

  13. #13
    2 Star Lounger smithdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Clovis CA
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just install dual boot 2 days ago install 8.1 with 10
    I did find doing on internet data was move and only have to reinstall programs only took less than 2 hours to install windows 8.1 with Oracle Virtual Box for XP.
    FYI I back up ever thing since the 80's

    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    To me, since this preview version (like early Windows 8) lends itself to installation and operation on a .vhd, that is the best way to test it. No disruption of your main operating system and once the vhd is completed it can be copied to another machine and used there just fine after it automatically installs needed drivers for that machine. Once the vhd is built, a download of EasyBCD will let you modify the boot manager to boot to either your main OS or Windows 10 for "play time" without risk to your main operating system.

    Just my never humble opinion...

  14. #14
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    and you are a power user administrator

    we have 8.1 on my wifes tablet
    i can get it to do things
    but nto nearly as fast or easy as using xp pro

    and i have a win8.0 tablet
    that does not work at all
    at least not for anything i need to do
    which is not games and watching live tiles update

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    @speedball

    There are plenty of real users doing real work with Windows 8/8.1. I use it all day every day @ work & @ home. Many others do also. I have yet to find anything that I do which would be easier or faster in a prior version of Windows.

    Are there frustrations? SURE.
    Was there a learning curve? SURE.
    Would I go back to an earlier version of Windows? Not willingly.

    You have chosen not to get Windows 8/8.1 and that is your choice and is fine. What is your version of choice (i.e. the one you use the most)? Have you tried either 8 or 8.1 for any extended period of time? Do you have specifics about what is less productive and why it is less productive?

    Businesses have not deployed Windows 8 in large numbers because many either just finished deploying Windows 7 or are in the process of deploying Windows 7. Businesses do not upgrade their operating systems anywhere near as often as a consumer might. Many people have no real idea about what it takes to prepare for an upgrade like that.

    As for the next release of Windows, Microsoft has already stated that there will be one version of Windows with differing UIs for different devices.

    Joe

  15. #15
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    thanks

    my need for real dos is mostly gone
    along with the 5" floppies

    i either found new aps or gave up on the old programs




    Quote Originally Posted by BatBytes View Post
    If you need real dos, or even if you just really, really love dos, you can have it all and more in JP Software's Take Command/TCCLE(the free version). Take Command started as 4Dos, a command.com replacement which was far and away superior to msdos/pcdos and still is. I used 4Dos for years before there even was a windows 1.0 and when Rex Conn & partner(can't remember his name) ported it to windows I have had it installed on every version of windows since. It is truly awesome... I have even seen games written in 4Dos batch programming language... but if you are familiar with 4Dos/Take Command you already know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •