Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up DesktopS (plural)

Really like the multiple Desktops. @ 1st thought it was much like Alt-Tab or hovering across Taskbar, basically, another View/Select approach. In 7 (& 8) would run more than one tabbed browser grouping related sites in each. This does that and on a higher level. Can EASILY be done by 'family' or even if different sign-ins are required. Can be put to good use, keeping things nicely organized & the Desktop, et al, neat, clean & uncluttered.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Bump

Just wanted to reiterate what a cool feature I find this to be of Windows 10. IT is so nice how related things can be grouped together making the experience slick, neat, tidy & very organised & uncluttered... not having a bunch of stuff all mixed up together on one Desktop. Microsoft calls it "Virtual Desktops". For example, I have one w/ Skype, Outlook, Calendar... another w/ all IT stuff.... another w/ Home page & whatever & another w/ sites devoted to a singer/song-write of particular interest to me. Anyway, you get the idea and certainly can be configured however YOU fancy. You simply open one, put what you want in it, hit the + sign & open another, fill it and so on. I am not sure, yet, as to how many one can have but, a few, @ any rate.

10 sure is easy to use. Makes such a nice difference not having 'Hot Corners', hidden things or stuff that pops out from edges. Plus, now, w/ 10 and its menu, I don't have to enable the Desktop Toolbar or create a folder on the Taskbar for Applications and can, still, not have to change screens for anything; just be 100% on the good ole Desktop. All w/ hardly any 'learning curve'! And it sure is speedy! Certainly, non-touch PC Users should not have complaints w/ Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-16 at 01:45.

Thanks
    I prefer a single desktop with the most frequently used programs/apps pinned to the taskbar. A simple search initiated by clicking on the Start icon and typing the first few letters of the other programs suffices for the rest. It's also just as easy to organize the Start Menu/Start Screen in a similar manner to your description of multiple desktops. Fortunately, Windows 10 is programmable enough so you can set it up as you personally prefer. There's no one right way.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds promising, especially for the "overbuilt" systems that can handle increased and extended multitasking. If I ever get to it the test will be seeing if it will easily switch from a full immersion game (keyboard shortcut?) to a non-game, unadulterated desktop arrangement(s) for a little task scheduling and then back to the game again without any problems in the game or game desktop related to switching out for a while.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jerry,

We know one of the nice things about Windows is being highly customizable. There was no suggestion of this being a "right way". It was merely information about an available Feature. With all of these the taskbar and start menu are there with their pinning ability. Only what sites or windows in these desktops is different.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    "Virtual Desktops"
    Ooo yeah like Linux has had for mmm oh maybe always??
    and NVidia for that matter a good tool for organizing. For me I hide icons on my main box.
    Drew what does "bump" mean is this context ?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post

and NVidia for that matter a good tool for organizing. For me I hide icons on my main box.
    Drew what does "bump" mean is this context ?

"Bump" means or is when an older, aging, Post is brought back to 'now' & back to current notice for people. It is 'bumped' back up to the top.

Cheers,
    Drew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

and NVidia for that matter a good tool for organizing.

Yes but there are relatively minute numbers using Linux as a consumer OS on a powerful multitasking system, Nvidia was/is limited to certain graphics card, implementation always seemed to be problematic or at least not optimal, and I think all the links in the hardware "chain" are there now to make it a very useful tool (with proper implementation of course) instead of an experiment or arbitrary arrangement that can only be pushed to the limits of the weakest hardware component.

I think I have a case of virtual whiplash from this hard reverse by Microsoft. The desktop never to be threatened with extinction again?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "I think I have a case of virtual whiplash from this hard reverse by Microsoft. The desktop never to be threatened with extinction again?"

LOL! Coming from someone who in 8.1 does not use the start screen, does use the Desktop Toolbar, uses a folder on the Taskbar w/ the All Applications content and does not change screens rather, stays 100% of the time on Desktop... it is, really, nice to see Windows 10 so VERY Desktop-centric AND w/out my having to do anything to make living permanently on it workable. Damn this OS is easy to use w/out even lifting a finger or tweaking a thing to have a fully committed Desktop experience.

I'll, also, add what is striking about 10 is a "less is more" thing. Kudos, not so much of anything added but, the lack of certain things; namely, no 'hidden' things, nothing that pops out & then disappears into edges, no Charms Bar(s) and no Hot Corners. Oh & no big, steep learning curve.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    The desktop never to be threatened with extinction again?
    Extinction ? Sounds like they are multiplying to me!
    Last edited by wavy; 2014-10-17 at 13:20. Reason: mispasted
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Extinction ? Sounds like they are multiplying to me!
    Exactly, that's what the virtual whiplash is from. I can still remember Paul Thurrott's distinct intimation back in a circa 2012 Windows Weekly that there was no doubt Microsoft's aim was to eliminate the desktop interface altogether before the end of the decade, maybe even with the next iteration of Windows. From none to tons. I always knew it was insanity because of the complexity of desktop programs but too many of the head honchos at Microsoft had TTF (touch tablet fever).

Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown

Just get a neck brace and a 'good' lawyer

David