Thread: USB 3.0 issues

Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB 3.0 issues

I'm not sure if this is a motherboard issue or not but it is associated with it so I am putting it in here. I have been having quite a few issues with the motherboard I have from ASRock. It is the Z87 Extreme4. My issue is the usb 3.0 No matter what I plug in it says this device can perform faster than this blah blah blah. Anyway, that should not be happening as I am plugging in usb 3.0 devices. What is going on? The other problem is that my front ports that are from the mobod header will no longer recognize any of my external 2.5 hdd. 1 on the back also says this so I am limited to just 3 ports on the back that I can plug into with my external hdd and they are very important to what I do. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this only on this board or a common thing among ASRock? I have other computers and the usb 3.0 works just great.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    ingeborgdot,

Have you tried reloading the drivers for the Mobo? If not I would go to the manufacturer's web site and downloading the latest drivers for your machine. Of course always good idea to take an image backup first. Of course this could be difficult if you can't see any of your external drives. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    1. Make certain that you are not using a USB 2.0 type cable.
    2. Make certain that you are not connecting a USB3 cable and device to a USB 1.0 or 2.0 port.
    (that includes USB 2.0 motherboard headers)
    3. Check for an updated USB 3.0 driver for your motherboard.

Much of the earlier USB 3.0 issue were "worked out" a few generations ago, motherboard chipset generations that is.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-10-16 at 13:54.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The message is one that appears when your USB3 is only working at USB2 speeds. First, go to Device Manager and uninstall all the USB drivers. Reboot and the drivers will be replaced with clean versions. If its still not working, get new drivers (I assume you have W7/8) from:-

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%2...wnload&os=Win7

If this fails, its probably a hardware problem. The rear sockets are built into the MOBO, but the front ones are connected by wires. Check they haven't become loose.
    If the problem is hardware, a workaround is to install a USB3 PCI card and a attach a powered USB3 hub to give connections at the front. Its cheaper and a lot easier than replacing the MOBO.

Thanks
    It is quite likely that the front panel connection is USB 2. Check w/ Case Manufacturer.
    as per specs:
    9 x USB 3.0, 8 x USB 2.0
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    USB 3 ports are normally Blue. See:
    http://www.asprangers.com/post/2012/...on-Lenovo.aspx

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...USB 3 ports are normally Blue...
    Most USB3-capable PCs I have worked on have had a mixture of USB2 & USB3 ports.

As you say, the USB3 ports generally are coloured blue, while the USB2 ports are black.

USB3-capable cases usually have one USB2 and one USB3 ports on the case's front panel, while the rear ports are on the motherboard.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    ...The other problem is that my front ports that are from the mobod header will no longer recognize any of my external 2.5 hdd. 1 on the back also says this...I have other computers and the usb 3.0 works just great.

In certain circumstances devices that have failed to install correctly can cause the kind of mis-behaviour you describe. I have often fixed this problem by uninstalling the problem devices' entries from "Device Manager" but it is necessary to run a couple of "devmgr" commands first.

You must run these commands from an elevated command prompt (GoTo Start/All Programs/Accessories then right-click "Command Prompt" then click [left] "Run as Administrator".)

The commands are:
    SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 (enter)
    START DEVMGMT.MSC (enter)

A "Device Manager" window will open, click "Show Hidden Devices" in the View menu. Then you can look under "Disk drives", "Unknown Devices", "USB controllers", etc. and uninstall any devices you are having trouble with.

Caution: take particular care with what you uninstall, especially entries under "Network adapters", "Sound, video and game controllers", and "System devices".

Once you have uninstalled the entries for your non-functioning USB devices you will need to reboot the PC.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-17 at 01:26. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.