2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender stopping

I discovered that my Windows Defender keeps stopping lately.I have to check and re-start it every day.Is there a way to have it on at all times without having to re-start it?This is something new,as far as I know,hasn't been doing it before.I use Win 7(32b.)Google Chrome(34)browser,use Ghostery and HTTPS Everywhere.
    Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A 3rd party AV program will disable Windows Defender, but have a read through this article if you don't have your own AV program installed.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/unable...ndows-defender

This article may interest you on Ghostery http://lifehacker.com/ad-blocking-ex...to-a-514417864
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-13 at 06:34.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2014-10-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your prompt and smart response.I did read both articles.I use Avast(free version)AV and did not have this problem with the Windows Defender before.I presume Ghostery will not cause it to stop and Avast hasn't done it for the several months I have been using it.So,it is still a mystery to me,why it goes off.Anyway,if there is one thing I learned about computers is,that there is never a dull(neither a quiet)moment.But thank you anyway,for now,I shall just keep checking and switching it on,until I get tired of doing it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AVAST Free doesn't have its own firewall so that won't be disabling Defender.

Go Start Orb - type services.msc - press enter then scroll down to Windows Defender and ensure the service is set to Automatic and Started.

If it isn't then right click on it and select Properties where you can use the dropdown to change its start up type and then hit the Start button.

You can also re-register its .DLLs by opening a command prompt as an administrator and entering the commands in this article as well as trying the MS Fixit if that doesn't resolve, even though you aren't getting that error. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...-to-initialize

Type exit and press enter to close the command window, but you could also enter sfc /scannow to see if the system file check finds any corruption.

There may also be a related error in Event Viewer as to why it should keep stopping.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-13 at 11:13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2014-10-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much.Your expertise is greatly appreciated!I am very thankful to people like you,who are always there to help with any problem upcoming.Have a wonderful day!
    I consider the subject closed,with thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the Kudos - so did re-registering the files do the job or was it the sfc /scannow ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2014-10-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No,actually,probably because I have Malwarebytes Anti malware(pro)and Anti exploit(free)running,the latter(?)may conflict with W.defender and that may be why it keeps stopping.I can re-start it every day,but I am not going to bother.I do of course update Defender every time it is possible.Anyway,I am not going to worry about it any more.I do such limited work on my computer(no games,no music,no movies,etc.),I am a "primitive"user and try having all defenses up.I hope to be able to avoid the defense by W.Defender and still stay "healthy"on the net.
    Thank you very much again for you taking time to attend to my question.Regards!!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    After a Google on their compatibility, MBAM Premium will do the job of Windows Defender in Win 7 and as you have AVAST, that should be sufficient protection.

Haven't been able to find anything definitive whether MBAM Premium disables WD but apparently, you can add it to MBAM's exclusion list, or just leave it.