New Lounger
    Pineville, LA

Does the DVD that you have actually matter?

This method looks promising, but so far it has not worked for me. I did not have a Windows 7 DVD since my system is one of those with the factory reinstall partition. So I went and bought a Windows 7 Professional OEM DVD for use on several systems that I have a need to fix.

My base problem is that a system freshly reimaged from the factory reinstall does not allow Windows Update to work and none of the patches that I have found seem to fix this problem. I decide to try Fred's method of fixing the installation. The problem is that the computer is Windows 7 Home Premium and the DVD that I have is Windows 7 Professional. While Fred states that is does not matter which edition DVD you use since the key code enables the correct version, this does not seem to be the case . After starting the process per Fred's instructions I eventually get to a prompt telling me that if I want to upgrade from Home Premium to Professional I need to use the Anytime Upgrade feature rather than the DVD and it kicks me out.

I wonder if there is some way around this or some detail that I missed in running the Upgrade option.
    Last edited by dleduc; 2014-10-11 at 13:10. Reason: typographical error

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 904 Posts
    I moved this post to its own thread in the Windows 7 forum.

5 Star Lounger
    S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
    Try this:

It worked for me for Windows Starter. However, go here for the Windows .iso files:

Then, create a bootable DVD using:

Last edited by Zig; 2014-10-13 at 10:54.

WS Lounge VIP
    I think the only way you could put an OEM upgraded version onto a computer is if you format the drive first for a clean install and then you could only install it onto one machine as it takes the "fingerprint" of that motherboard.

You can use the eicfg removal utility on a Win 7 SP1 Pro ISO which will make it an universal install disk, which you can do a repair install on your Win 7 HP machines or just download the relevant SP1 ISO from and use to create a bootable USB/DVD.

If you want to go the Pro ISO route for an universal USB/DVD, it still needs to be either 32 or 64 bit and you can use the link in to save the eicfg .zip

After you have extracted its files, run the .exe and point it to the ISO just as you would when using the USB/DVD burner.

An alternative to a repair install is to perform an offboot sfc /scannow after booting up with the install disk and you can use a normal/universal Pro SP1 ISO or the relevant HP SP1 - select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt.

At the Command Prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter it gives enter (assuming C: ) - and that is a Pipe symbol before find.

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

Type exit and press enter to close the cmd window - remove the disk then restart.

Belarc Advisor will list your product key if you want to use the Repair Install and remember to back up your drivers folders first from Windows\System32 to drop them back in afterwards.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-13 at 11:15.