Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office Outlook 2003 help

I need help in getting Office Outlook 2003 working on my new PC.

I have two PCs: a Dell desktop purchased Jan 2006 using MS XP and Outlook Express email application.
    Second: a Dell laptop purchased Dec 2013 using MS Win7 Home Premium and Office Outlook 2003 email application.

The Dell laptop was purchased because neither MS XP nor Outlook Express are supported by MS, even
    though they can still function. Nonetheless, it was time to upgrade. However, I cannot disturb my Outlook Express
    until I can get Outlook 2003 working on my new PC. Once that is functioning I can notify many enterprises that need
    to send me email of my new email address (if in fact I need to change my email address; not sure).

I use COMCAST as my ISP. I have been working with their HELP folks trying to get email going on my Win7 PC, to no
    avail so far. I have talked to several of their people, each of them having me enter the email settings dialogs, again
    and again. I still cannot send or receive email on my Win7 PC. Not only that, but any test emails they send to me end
    up in my Outlook Express app. I asked one of the HELP people how can I keep setting certain dialog screens with the
    same text as is used in my Outlook Express app. I was told that any incoming emails should go into both email apps.

I should mention that not only has MS stopped supporting MS XP and Outlook Express, but Comcast told me recently that
    I needed to get a newer cable modem, that the one I am using on my old PC is, itself, too old to continue to be used. I
    went out and bought a newer cable modem for my new PC. Also, I should mention that I only have one coaxial cable
    supplied by Comcast, and even though I now have two cable modems, one attached to each PC, I can only be
    connected to one PC at a time. I am going to get a cable splitter and two short coaxil cables in order to have online
    access by both PCs at the same time.

The last HELP person I talked to, after having me re-enter the settings yet again, said she was baffled and suggested I
    look for an "IT" person to see if he can get me going right.

I am hoping I can get some help here.
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    No, you do not need to change your email address, to move to Outlook 2003 from Outlook Express.

Do you have data from your ISP, to add the existing email account(s) to Outlook 2003? This would be username (usually email address, but not always the case), password, email server address, knowing the ports to use?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-10-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, they have walked me through all the settings a dozen times, all to no avail.
    They even had me change the ports.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Thanks
    Comcast uses POP email. Once the Email is accepted by Outlook Express, it is removed from Comcast's email server and is not available for Outlook on the Windows 7 PC. You can configure outlook express to leave mail on the server:
    https://support.tigertech.net/outlook-express-lmos

If you do so, mail should then be available on Outlook in the Windows 7 box.

If you also want to be able to read email on the XP box, configure Outlook on the Windows 7 box to leave mail on the server as well:
    http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner...ail-on-server/

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-10-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, but I believe both app's are set to keep emails on the servers. Also, I cannot send or receive emails from the Outlook 2003 app. The problem must be something else that no one expects. Maybe some underlying setting on the Win7 PC deep in its bowels is the culprit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is your internet access working on Windows 7 without any issues?

There are really no underlying settings regarding email, on Windows 7. Do you have other accounts, from different providers, that you can use to try to delimit the cause for the problem?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-10-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Internet access for other app's are okay. In fact since I can open Outlook 2003 and see its "home" page I would think that that shows even Outlook can access the Internet, but there is something that is stopping it from sending and
    receiving emails. Question: since I had to install a new cable modem on the Outlook PC, does Comcast require that it be registered or some such action before it will operate properly?
    As to whether I have other accounts, from different providers, I am not sure what is meant by that. Do you mean do I have, say, a Gmail account too? Also, by delimit do you mean something else works similar to Outlook that could be used to test whether it is a general email problem, or is it just a problem with Outlook whereas the other thing works but Outlook does not?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flavet View Post
    Internet access for other app's are okay. In fact since I can open Outlook 2003 and see its "home" page I would think that that shows even Outlook can access the Internet, but there is something that is stopping it from sending and
    receiving emails. Question: since I had to install a new cable modem on the Outlook PC, does Comcast require that it be registered or some such action before it will operate properly?
    As to whether I have other accounts, from different providers, I am not sure what is meant by that. Do you mean do I have, say, a Gmail account too? Also, by delimit do you mean something else works similar to Outlook that could be used to test whether it is a general email problem, or is it just a problem with Outlook whereas the other thing works but Outlook does not?
    The issue is not with your modem, if you can access the internet with other apps.

Yes, that was my question - do you have a gmail or similar account?

When you have a problem, a usual strategy is to try to find a cause. Elimination can be used for that. My first idea would be to see if Outlook can be used to access, say, an email account from a provider different from Comcast. If it works, then you will know the issue is with your provider. If it does not, then you will know Outlook is the problem.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I thought I would use GMail at first on my new PC because so many of my emailers use it, but then I found out
    that it did not store your emails on your PC but kept them on a server. I wanted to have a similar setup with my new
    PC as I could with the old PCs email app, Outlook Express. I had already found how to establish a gmail a/c and set
    one up but never used it because of what found out later about the copies.
    As for doing the elimination thing, of course that is a very good way to do test things out, but I would not have the
    skill to be able to set up Outlook to go to gmail to use it for a testing device. You know, before I was forced to
    do all this stuff, buy a new PC, get it set up with email, and internet access, etc, etc, I thought I knew how email
    worked - the ISP provides a server to receive all incoming emails and passes those on to the email app of the
    recipient on his PC. And, any outgoing mail from the originator goes to the ISP's server to be sent on their way to
    the email addressee. And that was what I think I knew about emailing. But it seems there is more to the story than
    that, but what it is I have yet to find out.
    Thank you for helping me with this. It may be solved yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Gmail can be configured to be accessible through POP, which basically means that you can configure it to download all your email to your computer, just like you seem to be used to do with your current accounts.

There is a lot of detailed help on how to configure Outlook 2003 to use a Gmail account, so you can give it a try:

http://www.techieinspire.com/step-by...-outlook-2007/

http://www.setup-outlook.com/outlook2003gmail.php
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you again. I will give it a try, but not today. It has been a very long day for me and I
    am beginning to see things double. I am going to sign off for today, and come back
    tomorrow morning. Thank you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Flavet - because it seems you have a good internet connection I recommend that you allow someone to remote access your machine - for personal use you can download Teamviewer and then give someone a one-time authorization to log-in to your machine and provide you with some active assistance. It would be best to allow a trusted friend or a local service provider. The nice thing about doing it this way is that you can have someone very familiar with your email situation show you exactly the steps needed to establish email connectivity.
    I do this all the time with many friends around the world and I have never failed to resolve a email issue.
    Regards
    Paul

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pdiggins For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-10-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flavet View Post
    I need help in getting Office Outlook 2003 working on my new PC.

I have two PCs: a Dell desktop purchased Jan 2006 using MS XP and Outlook Express email application.
    Second: a Dell laptop purchased Dec 2013 using MS Win7 Home Premium and Office Outlook 2003 email application.

The Dell laptop was purchased because neither MS XP nor Outlook Express are supported by MS, even
    though they can still function. Nonetheless, it was time to upgrade. However, I cannot disturb my Outlook Express
    until I can get Outlook 2003 working on my new PC. Once that is functioning I can notify many enterprises that need
    to send me email of my new email address (if in fact I need to change my email address; not sure).

I use COMCAST as my ISP. I have been working with their HELP folks trying to get email going on my Win7 PC, to no
    avail so far. I have talked to several of their people, each of them having me enter the email settings dialogs, again
    and again. I still cannot send or receive email on my Win7 PC. Not only that, but any test emails they send to me end
    up in my Outlook Express app. I asked one of the HELP people how can I keep setting certain dialog screens with the
    same text as is used in my Outlook Express app. I was told that any incoming emails should go into both email apps.

I should mention that not only has MS stopped supporting MS XP and Outlook Express, but Comcast told me recently that
    I needed to get a newer cable modem, that the one I am using on my old PC is, itself, too old to continue to be used. I
    went out and bought a newer cable modem for my new PC. Also, I should mention that I only have one coaxial cable
    supplied by Comcast, and even though I now have two cable modems, one attached to each PC, I can only be
    connected to one PC at a time. I am going to get a cable splitter and two short coaxil cables in order to have online
    access by both PCs at the same time.

The last HELP person I talked to, after having me re-enter the settings yet again, said she was baffled and suggested I
    look for an "IT" person to see if he can get me going right.

I am hoping I can get some help here.
    Wait....I think your internet setup is wrong. You can't use two modems. Use ONE modem. Does this modem have a built-in router with multiple ethernet connections on the back and wireless capabilities?

If it does, connect an ethernet cable to both the desktop and laptop or connect wireless to the laptop, your choice.

If the modem just has one ethernet output you need to buy a wireless router to provide multiple ethernet outputs and a wireless signal to connect the internet to multiple computers.

With Comcast the first time you use a new modem, open a browser and enter your account info and Comcast will provision the modem(register the MAC address of the modem) into their system to allow internet access. If that screen doesn't open you may have to call Comcast (the HORROR) and read the MAC address to perform the provision.

I think you should do all this first then tackle the email problems.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PvtBB For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-10-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am totally disgusted with this problem and I am at my wits end. Since I last posted to this
    thread I finally received a call from a Comcast help person (who sounded American and did not
    have an accent that was nearly impossible to interpret). But, he only offered a lot of hot air
    and did not solve the problem, but instead, after testing my connection to the Internet, said
    the connection was good, and that he could not help me beyond that. He said to call Microsoft.
    Bull.
    I really am trying to avoid changing email providers and my email address. I don't know if I would
    be able to get everyone notified of the change. Oh, well, I think I will close out this thread, if I
    can even do that.
    Last edited by flavet; 2014-10-20 at 09:40.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you try the Gmail test I suggested?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-10-20)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast