Lounger
    Thanks

Need Video Card: pci express X 16, 250 watt power supply

I have a pc dedicated to recording audio and production, ancient but still performing well. Here is my pc: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...oductresources

I now have an issue running some new vst plugins inside Cakewalk Sonar. These plugins (MeldaProduction, FabFilter) use GPU acceleration and cause my Sonar to crash. The Sonar forums (also excellent as these are) are pretty sure a graphics card would cure the issue as opposed to my "integrated graphics".

A HD5450 (AMD) was suggested and indeed these ranged from $19.99 to 49.99 at Tiger Direct or Newegg but all required 400 watt as a minimum power supply. My pc has a 250 watt power supply.

I briefly checked around at Tiger but didn't find any for my little power supply. I'm not going to get into upgrades and such because soon, I just need a new pc as it is at that point where it limits most everything. However, an inexpensive graphics card would help for the moment.

I have both a pci express X 16 and a pci express X 1 slot available. Does anybody know of such a card?

Thanks much!

Robby K

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at the picture on your link I'd say that case will accept a 'standard' size power supply. Also of note is that smaller cases [SFF Small Form Factor] have the Optical drive mounted vertically instead of horizontally as in Tower and miniTower cases. Also of note is Add-in cards will use the 'standard' mounting bracket instead of the low-profile type in the SFF cases.

As for the video card, the model you list should work. I use an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6600 Series, about $80 when I got it 3 years ago.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-14 at 12:10.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    As for the video card, the model you list should work. I use an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6600 Series, about $80 when I got it 3 years ago.
    Thanks for the reply!

My concern is the power supply which I do not intent to upgrade with a new pc so near on the horizon. The newer cards seem to require a minimum 400 watt power supply. Am I correct in assuming I cannot use these with my pc and a 250 watt power supply?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have issues with the computer with only the 250 Watt unit but you could always try. I just go with what is recommended and avoid problems. Not having sufficient power to things can cause them to heat up and fail.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2014-10-14)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I just go with what is recommended and avoid problems. Not having sufficient power to things can cause them to heat up and fail.
    Yes, as I thought, and older cards within the 250 watts specification may have driver problems...so I'll probably wait on the new pc a year or two down the line.

Thanks much for the help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome. By the time you're ready Windows 10 will be out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyk View Post
    ...so I'll probably wait on the new pc a year or two down the line...
    I have installed several HD5450 PCI-E VGA cards to customers' PC. Most of these PCs had 400W PSUs or higher, but a couple had 230-250W PSU, which seemed to handle the card OK.

According to http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,6.html the HD5450's actual power-draw is less than 30W.

Note that the 400W power requirement apparently refers to the target system's PSU output rating, not the wattage needed for the card.

You could look around for a secondhand PSU about 400W or better?
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-17 at 00:31. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.