Lounger
    Thanks

Learning VBA - Resource Guide

Hi all,

As a few of you know I'm attempting to learn VBA right now, and I wondered if anyone had any advice as to what resources are available.

I've been told by my employer that if I need to spend some money on books (I like books, makes a change from screens which I seem to spend most of my day looking at!) that he's happy to let me put them on expenses..

Soo I guess what I'm asking is:

What book(s) would you recommend for a beginner- intermediate level?
    What's the most informative book you know of ( irrespective of level, i'll read it even if i don't understand it yet :) )

Thanks

R

Thanks
    Rathril,

I would seriously reconsider buying books for this topic. The move away from paper has been a growing endeavor because it is so cost effective to publish on line. Let's face it, VBA programming is not a best seller topic and with the fewer the books produced, the higher the cost. Therefore, the books available for VBA tend to have more outdated material. For example, you may find your author constantly referring to Office 2003. Although I am no Robin Cook, some authors present too few examples, poorly explained coding techniques, light on images, etc. I find it fascinating to see multiple points of view and the web makes that possible as opposed to being locked into a narrow directed path. That's what makes this forum so interesting; you see various ways contributors create different formulas and/or code to achieve the same goal.

While you might want to give your eyes a break from the screen, explore the vast Internet to find suitable articles and ask your employer to splurge for a print cartridge to instead print them out and read at your own leisure.

Muad

Thanks
    I can't help you with something that is solely specific to Excel (Que's VBA and Macros: Microsoft Excel 2010 by Bill Jelen and Tracy Syrstad perhaps?) but I found "Mastering VBA for Office 2010, 2nd Ed" by Richard Mansfield (Sybex, but published by Wiley, ISBN 978-0-470-63400-4) very useful when I was learning VBA for a work project to create an automated order/stock/audit system that integrated with our Service Desk's ticket management application.

Packed full of examples, I liked the way the beginning of the book explained and demonstrated general principles whilst the latter part delved into the object models of each of the Office 2010 applications. I take Maudibe's point about 'light on images' - there weren't a huge amount except for the section on using message boxes, input boxes and dialog boxes - but this wasn't particularly important to me. Just make sure you download the source code from the Wiley website to save yourself all the typing.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    What a timely question! Five minutes ago I consulted a thirteen-year-old book (!) about Excel, and found it to be very helpful (I hadn't looked at it for a LONG time). It might be exactly what you need.

The book is Writing Excel Macros by Steven Roman. There is a newer version (2002) called Writing Excel Macros with VBA, which I haven't seen but am assuming is just as good.

Both of them are available dirt cheap on Half.com or eBay, HERE.

When I first got this book, I didn't understand a word in it. Now it is a very useful tool.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot guys! I ended up with a book by John Walkenbach which promises to give me examples of codes and how they work - I can also download a lot of the workbooks to see the codes in a sheet.

I'm getting started now, the only issue I have is that work are pushing both SQL and tableau on me at the same time so I've got a lot to be getting on with to be honest!