4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drive is getting full

Hi,

The hard drive containing my operating system has 52 GB free space remaining. Should I begin thinking about getting adding another hard drive?

Thank you.

moon1130

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Moon,

1. Size of drive?
    2. Is it an SSD?
    3. Do you have more than one drive?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi,

The hard drive containing my operating system has 52 GB free space remaining. Should I begin thinking about getting adding another hard drive?

Thank you.

moon1130
    Yes, either that or start thinking about emptying it.
    (clean up your mess)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-10-26 at 05:06.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If all it contains is the Operating Sytem, then no, leave it alone. If it contains your data and you save videos / audio then it's probably time to consider a new disk / splitting OS from data.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would run the disk cleanup utility first, it can often free up a lot of space, especially if you have not run it before. But if you have a small drive, or have lots of media files, then a second drive is probably necessary. Knowing the size of your current drive, and what it contains (a tool such as windirstat, https://windirstat.info/, can help with that), would help us to make a better recommendation

Thanks
    Depends on how much money you have. No money? Then clean up your mess.
    Got lots O money? Buy a 3 Terrabyte drive. They are getting real cheap now.

I clean up peoples computers for a living (well, some small part of a living anyway) and it's amazing how many tens of thousands of garbage files I can remove during a cleanup. I recently cleaned out 47 GB of just pure CRAP! from a customer's PC hard drive. The PC was several years old and had never been cleaned. Many typical PC's store up 3 to 10 meg's of garbage per day.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Moon,

1. Size of drive?
    2. Is it an SSD?
    3. Do you have more than one drive?

As others have said, what you should do, depends on what you've got, but if I were replacing my hard drive right now, I would get a 250GB SSD for the operating system and program files, and a 3TB Hard drive for data. Can your computer accommodate two drives?

As I said , that is what I would do right now. The last time I did it, I got a 1TB hard drive, and an SSD was not even a consideration. A couple years from now, who knows?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Depends on how much money you have. No money? Then clean up your mess.
    Got lots O money? Buy a 3 Terrabyte drive. They are getting real cheap now.

I clean up peoples computers for a living (well, some small part of a living anyway) and it's amazing how many tens of thousands of garbage files I can remove during a cleanup. I recently cleaned out 47 GB of just pure CRAP! from a customer's PC hard drive. The PC was several years old and had never been cleaned. Many typical PC's store up 3 to 10 meg's of garbage per day.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Whoa! 3TB HDD? Careful.

AFAIK NTFS has 2TB (approx.) partition-size limit, so to use a 3TB HDD you would need to either split it into two NTFS partitions (would work OK) or partition it with GPT partition and be running an OS that will work with GPT (Win7 or Win8/8.1 if Windows).

DrWho: you might want to try Cleanup!. I have found Cleanup! most effective and safe for cleaning up temp files/folders on customers' computers.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ...I recently cleaned out 47 GB of just pure CRAP! from a customer's PC hard drive...
    A little over two years ago a customer complained her one-year-old laptop was excessively slow, updates were failing to install, and she was getting warnings that her C:\ drive had less than 4GB freespace. The laptop had a 320GB HDD with 80GB C:\ partition and 200GB D:\ partition.

I resized the D:\ partition to 50GB and the C:\ partition to 230GB. Then I ran Total Commander to investigate what was using up so much space on the C:\ drive; the "Temporary Internet Files" folder was huge (>15GB) so I launched Cleanup!.

After about fifteen minutes Cleanup! still did not appear to be doing anything but did not seem to have "hung", so I told the customer to leave it running and to phone me that evening if it still hadn't done its job (this was about 2:00PM).

I hadn't heard from the customer about 6:00PM so I phoned her. She said she was about to phone me, and that Cleanup! had just finished and had deleted about 600,000 files and recovered about 20GB of disk space!
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    AFAIK NTFS has 2TB (approx.) partition-size limit, so to use a 3TB HDD you would need to either split it into two NTFS partitions
    I think it is FAT32 that has the 2TB limit. I have two 4TB drives, each formatted as one NTFS humungous partition.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    I think it is FAT32 that has the 2TB limit. I have two 4TB drives, each formatted as one NTFS humungous partition.
    But NTFS requires GPT for bigger than 2TB, as he said in the second half of the sentence you quoted.

Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 TB, dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create NTFS volumes over 2 TB. Booting from a GPT volume to a Windows environment requires a system with UEFI and 64-bit support.
    NTFS Scalability at Wikipedia
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-10-25 at 17:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    But NTFS requires GPT for bigger than 2TB, as he said in the second half of the sentence you quoted.

Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 TB, dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create NTFS volumes over 2 TB. Booting from a GPT volume to a Windows environment requires a system with UEFI and 64-bit support.
    NTFS Scalability at Wikipedia
    What I stated in my #9 post was based on what I understand from working with current and recent hardware and operating systems. The NTFS 2TB limit is based on practical limitations imposed by the capabilities of computer hardware and operating systems.

Also, what the partition is to be used for is a further important consideration; AFAIK Win7 on a >2TB NTFS partition is likely to "crash" if data is written beyond the 2TB boundary (I'm not sure if Win8/8.1 has the same limitation).