Lounger
    Thanks

What is Microsoft works calendar?

What is Microsoft Works Calendar? It seems to run in the background and access the internet???

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    It's a calendar installed as part of the default install of MS Works. There's a entry that runs the calendar reminder process - wkcalrem.exe - at every startup.

To stop it running automatically, delete the entry in the 'all users' startup folder, typically C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Works was a software suite that varied by year and that was supplied with every new Windows computer sold. These freebies weren’t exactly free, because you had to buy a new computer to get them.

They were also part of the Monopoly game that to this day has Microsoft sparring with governments, in court and out, notably in United States v. Microsoft Corp. in 1998, and with the EU, where Windows cannot be sold with Internet Explorer or Windows Media Player included. Purchasers of new Windows-based computers may be a captive market, and Microsoft may have used its monopoly power to give away its own software along with the operating system, thereby putting competitive software that either was or may have been superior out of business, or at least giving its own an unfair advantage to the detriment of the free market system.

I have beside me Microsoft Works Suite 2000 and Microsoft Works Suite 2001, each in a manila envelope with a 25-digit product key on it. Works 2000 includes Word 2000, Money 2000, Encarta Encyclopedia 2000, Home Publishing 2000, Home Publishing 2000 Designs and Art, and Expedia Streets & trips 2000; 8 CDs in all. Works 2001 includes Word 2000 SR1, Works 6.0 Clipart, Money 2001 Standard, Picture It! Publishing 2001, Encarta 2001 Standard, and Streets & Trips 2001; 6 CDs in all.

MS Word vs. WordPerfect, MS Money vs. Quicken, and MS Encarta vs. Britannica are examples of Microsoft’s free programs in Works versus competitive non-Microsoft products. MS Internet Explorer vs. Netscape was important in United States v. Microsoft Corp. as a result of Netscape’s business losses, although Netscape was still available in 2007.

If your computer ever had Microsoft Works Suite installed, there may be any number of leftovers, active or inactive.

Lounger
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    It's a calendar installed as part of the default install of MS Works. There's a entry that runs the calendar reminder process - wkcalrem.exe - at every startup.

To stop it running automatically, delete the entry in the 'all users' startup folder, typically C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.

Hope this helps...
    Where will I find this path in Win 8.1? I've looked everywhere and can't find the startup folder.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethekey View Post
    Where will I find this path in Win 8.1? I've looked everywhere and can't find the startup folder.
    For "All Users" the path is "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu". For "Default users" the path is "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu". For an individual user the path is "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Win dows\Start Menu".

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.